Considering buying XC90 - Question about kids back seat entry/exit hazzard due to protruding plastic

hiavi

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
Hi,
I am considering to buy an XC90.

I have a concern about a plastic protruding knob that gets exposed when 2nd row seat gets pulled to the front to allow entry/exit to 3rd row.

It feels like it would be fall hazard for kids entering/exiting the 3rd row. Any experiences on how to work around this issue?

Volvo hazzard.jpg

regards,
-Avi

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 momentum, Denim Blue
My personal experience is that the height and location of that piece won't be in the path of any foot performing the necessary step to get out.

For that left side door, the passenger's left foot will be closest to the piece, but stepping out with the left first will clear that piece. The following right foot will then have to make a bigger leap to clear the tilted 2nd row backrest, so I haven't ran into a case where the right foot is low enough to get snagged by it.

Suppose the passenger leaves the left foot in position, stands up (with back bent down forward to clear the ceiling) and moves the right foot to step out, the right foot will still need to swing up high enough. And during all this, it seems to be highly likely that the right hand will be resting on the back of the 2nd row seat.

When entering, should a foot bump into that piece, the person's center of gravity will likely be well behind that leading foot (and mostly outside the vehicle, supported by the static foot), so they won't tip over.