2008 xc90 3.2 AWD 75k miles. crunching/clunking noise coming from the front end when shifting from P to D to R

Eric81583

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hi forum,

I have a 2008 xc90 3.2 AWD 75k miles. yesterday I started my vehicle and shifted into drive and I heard crunching/clunking noise coming from the front end. The Check engine light flickered before I quickly threw it into neutral. The check engine light turned off and I shifted back into drive and drove home with no problem. This morning I started it up and the same thing happened again.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem?

If I continue to drive it am I going to cause major expensive damage? (This is my only vehicle and I need it to get to work)

And what I have to do to fix it ( I do most of my own work. Only brakes and oil on this one but I had a 2004 s60 that I did strut assemblies, timing belt etc)

Thanks

Eric

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Does the clunk happen all the time, during driving or when switching gears?

Eric81583

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hi XCMike, thanks for your response. The crunching/clunking sound only happens when shifting into drive. It shifts smoothly through all 6 gears once its on the road.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Hi XCMike, thanks for your response. The crunching/clunking sound only happens when shifting into drive. It shifts smoothly through all 6 gears once its on the road.
Have a transmission shop check the motor and transmission mount to see if its broken or loose.