Navigation - Not so sure about this system.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Had the car about three weeks. Trying to learn how to use the navigation system. Biggest challenge so far is how to CANCEL the current guidance. Can't figure it out and have read/reread the manual. What am I missing - how do you cancel the guidance. My Mercedes was not nearly this difficult. [unsurelaugh]

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Volvo still needs to improve their user intuitiveness if they want to compete with the Germans or Japanese. Right now the only quick way I've figured out is to use the voice recognition and say "Pause guidance".

The long way is to go to your destination screen and delete the destination.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Incription Hybri
I agree that there is no way cancel your destination, only pause, or enter a new destination. How could they have missed this one?

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I believe you have to say "cancel itinerary." Good luck.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I believe you have to say "cancel itinerary." Good luck.
Update to initial post: Paddan has the answer and it is very complex in my poor brain to get there. After you Pause the routing, get back to the original navigation screen such that when you touch the top navigation space, a new screen comes up having a designated touch key to "Clear Itinerary" - Touch "Clear" and the route goes away/cancels and you may return Navigation to tracking your location.
My comment to the Volvo "iPad" is there are many functions that take a lot of "touches" to accomplish that needs to be cleaned up and simplified.

DTvp9

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
06 Tundra, 10 Evo X, 16 XC90
Not related to your post but had a question with the navi. Is there an option to "avoid tolls" with this navi?

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
GPS Navigation Settings

Not related to your post but had a question with the navi. Is there an option to "avoid tolls" with this navi?
Yes, there is a setting for avoiding toll roads. Go to Settings, select navigation, there should be a list of items that can provide custom GPS settings. One of the settings has the toll road selection which you can check. The GPS should no longer route you onto toll roads. Just drove to Columbus Ohio last week end. W. Virginia has toll roads and when we discovered we were heading to a toll booth, I found the setting, checked to avoid the toll road and put an additional hour onto our trip. I went back and unchecked the toll road avoidance and paid the $2 three times. I hate toll roads.
Good Luck

DTvp9

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
06 Tundra, 10 Evo X, 16 XC90
Yes, there is a setting for avoiding toll roads. Go to Settings, select navigation, there should be a list of items that can provide custom GPS settings. One of the settings has the toll road selection which you can check. The GPS should no longer route you onto toll roads. Just drove to Columbus Ohio last week end. W. Virginia has toll roads and when we discovered we were heading to a toll booth, I found the setting, checked to avoid the toll road and put an additional hour onto our trip. I went back and unchecked the toll road avoidance and paid the $2 three times. I hate toll roads.
Good Luck
Sweet! Finally getting used to all the options. Thanks for your help!

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 VOLVO XC90
Is there is an adjustment for the navigation to point in the direction of travel towards the top of the screen? My Jeep would always identify the direction I was traveling towards the top of the screen, so when I made a turn the screen would rotate as well. (ex. if i was driving eastbound the arrow and direction of travel was always towards the top of the screen, when I made a right turn to travel south the screen would rotate to show my travel as southbound towards the top of the screen). sorry for the confusion

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Yes, it will track straight up - direction of travel - and the screen will spin around as you turn keeping track up.
Go to the Volvo XC90 Electronic Manual - Go to "NAVIGATION" - Go to "Common navigation system features", read down to "Where am I", page 437 on my electronic copy - go to next page and read "Direction at the top of the map/North at the top of the map"
ALSO:
In the navigation system's normal view, press the thumb wheel/OK/MENU and select SettingsMap optionsMap type.
Select how the map is to be displayed on the screen:

North up: the map will always have north at the top of the screen. The "vehicle" symbol will move in the current direction on the screen.

Map heading up: the "vehicle" symbol will be at the center of the map and will always point upward. The map will rotate under the symbol, depending on the direction of the road.

3D map basic: the map will be displayed at an angle from above and the "vehicle" symbol will be at the center of the map and will always point upward.

3D map enhanced: the same as 3D map basic but with objects such as buildings, etc. displayed on the map.

Hope this helps - reply back if it doesn't.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
1. The easiest way to CANCEL or MUTE factory guidance is on the steering wheel - menu button, it also has the last few destinations for you to use with one click !

2. If use use bluetooth for your phone, same button also allows you to make the call to your last few people that you called.

3. If you have iPhone then you can replace factory navigation with with Siri and CarPlay.

Hope it helps.