Precise

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I've had my XC90 for a month. I find the navigation system deficient and unsafe for several reasons:

1. Very few streets, especially cross-streets, are labeled. For example the main street in Palo Alto California, (University Ave) is not labeled. I would guess that only about 10% of streets are labeled. Zooming in makes it worse, because the few labels zoom off past the edge of the screen. With my previous (Nissan) nav system I rarely programmed a destination, but left the map on all the time. It was handy to see that my intended turn was (for example) two blocks ahead.

2. The color scheme of gray on gray was chosen my an artist, not an engineer. It's hard to read while driving and thus unsafe.

3. The few streets which are labeled, are labeled in a small font. Again, hard to read while driving and thus unsafe.

I've thought that I might used google maps via an app or a browser in the Sensus system. I've even read a review that says Sensus can run apps and a browser here:

http://www.slashgear.com/2016-volvo-xc90-first-drive-scandinavia-on-wheels-23384956/

Can any of you do this?

A few other nits:

The USB socket does not recognize a USB flash drive, despite it being prepared according the Volvo instructions. My dealer tried a bunch of flash drives in several of his cars with similar results. The socket does recognize a Sansa MP3 player.

The only classical channel on sat radio is channel 76. But it doesn't come up on the list of stations.

Every time I open the door, the entertainment comes on, even if I turned it was turned off during the prior use. Volvo said that's just the way it is.

Furthermore, it rarely comes up on the previously used station. Mostly it's some media that I didn't choose.

It can't understand a simple voice request like "select KQED radio". I was born in USA and have no accent.

Regards,

Alan

Precise

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I've had my XC90 for a month. I find the navigation system deficient and unsafe for several reasons:

1. Very few streets, especially cross-streets, are labeled. For example the main street in Palo Alto California, (University Ave) is not labeled. I would guess that only about 10% of streets are labeled. Zooming in makes it worse, because the few labels zoom off past the edge of the screen. With my previous (Nissan) nav system I rarely programmed a destination, but left the map on all the time. It was handy to see that my intended turn was (for example) two blocks ahead.

2. The color scheme of gray on gray was chosen my an artist, not an engineer. It's hard to read while driving and thus unsafe.

3. The few streets which are labeled, are labeled in a small font. Again, hard to read while driving and thus unsafe.

I've thought that I might used google maps via an app or a browser in the Sensus system. I've even read a review that says Sensus can run apps and a browser here:

http://www.slashgear.com/2016-volvo-xc90-first-drive-scandinavia-on-wheels-23384956/

Can any of you do this?

A few other nits:

The USB socket does not recognize a USB flash drive, despite it being prepared according the Volvo instructions. My dealer tried a bunch of flash drives in several of his cars with similar results. The socket does recognize a Sansa MP3 player.

The only classical channel on sat radio is channel 76. But it doesn't come up on the list of stations.

Every time I open the door, the entertainment comes on, even if I turned it was turned off during the prior use. Volvo said that's just the way it is.

Furthermore, it rarely comes up on the previously used station. Mostly it's some media that I didn't choose.

It can't understand a simple voice request like "select KQED radio". I was born in USA and have no accent.

Regards,

Alan
Many of you have read this, but have not commented. I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Do you see the same problems?

Thank you,

Alan

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Wish I can help, we are expecting ours to be delivered in Nov.

Emdem

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Precise,

There is a major software update coming in November. All of these bugs have been posted by others and the same complaints about Nav/voice etc. With the November update, you will have access to Apple carplay allegedly can use siri for voice recognition and Maps for Nav.

Android Auto will be available in Spring.

I think Volvo did not invest too much into their Nav because of these integrations.

Best,
M

Froggy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 2015 momentum D5
I live in England and have also found several inaccuracies compared to a simple 100? TomTom. Hopefully this will improve

I agree that the color scheme is not perfect and it would be useful to be able to change it.

The road finding algorithm is far from the best having taken me totally off-road once.
When entering the data the system sometimes get confused between post code and city name, keeping both separate would make this easier
Once a postcode has been entered the system does not confirm the rest of the information such as road name, city? this would make mistakes easier to pick-up
Trying to enter further information within system after entering the postcode confuses the system
The level of sound of the navigation system tries to deal with the sound level of the media but makes still makes it difficult to set depending on the audio source (can it be linked?)
Changing the sound level for the navigation system require several menu levels, it would be safer if it could be done from the front menu or the driver display
When you have set an address in your favourite it would be valuable to be able to give it a name (could it even be linked to your contact?), the edit function strangely does not allow you to do that

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I feel like the Nav requires you to zoom in too far to see the street labels. I dislike having to pinch the screen and then center it again. I prefer zoom + and - over pinching.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Navi Upgrade coming???

My dealership called me yesterday to say that within the next two weeks, Volvo will be contacting owners regarding an upgrade product for the navi system as well as CarPlay from Apple.

I too am not thrilled with the color scheme of Dark Blue type against a black background when in Navi mode.

Has anyone figured out a way to scroll though Sirius radio stations and not by category?? I have been unable to "scroll through them all, or see them all in numerical order? Crazy you cannot change stations by voice command, only AM and FM.

ronaldlo

Reactions
State
CA
Country
Mexico
What I Drive
2016 XC90 INSCRIPTION
I have the same problem, I received my XC90 15 days ago. Also it becomes very dirty in the rainwater.