City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90
Hello there ... just got 2019 XC90 this weekend. I did a search across forum topics for this questions, but was not able to find anything, so sorry if this has been well covered. But, just wondering what gas you use? I came from a Mercedes that required premium gas, but the dealership told me that the Volvo recommends premium, but that it is not at all necessary and shouldn't affect performance. Wasn't sure about that, so checking here for any experience. Thanks!

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I go premium even with my landcruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Milton Keynes
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2009 XC90 R Design 2.4 diesel
What does it say in the fuel filler flap? Theres no benefit in using a higher octane than the engine is set up for - it will not make a jot of difference to running or performance, and that's inviolable, governed by the laws of thermodynamics.

That said, higher octane fuels often (but not always) come with a better detergent package and more advanced combustion enhancers to give a more even and consistent flame front, so in that case it may make a slight difference to power, economy, or smoother running. But octane alone...save your money and use what the book says.