Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
Any way to disable the seatbelt "feature" which prevents me from driving from a stop unless my belt is clipped? When I get in the car and want to get going right away, I find this "feature" to be potentially dangerous if I'm trying to move and cars are behind me and I can't move until I buckle up or temporarily disengage the pa

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Having automatic braking engaged (A) causes this functionality. Simply turn this off with the (A) button on the center console near the start/stop knob and parking brake.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
Thanks for your reply. If I turn that feature off however, that would mean that I’d lose the capability (which I love) of coming to a stop and having the car stay stopped with my foot off the brake, then released by pressing the gas pedal.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I always have the Pilot Assist active, which does the same.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I can confirm the above for US. I'm now able to start moving prior to engaging the seat belt...passengers also, with the auto-brake feature.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
This will be possible with the latest software update from november 18.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/article/b863fc0ad77848b5c0a801515970036d
Thanks for the tip! "The car can be driven away when the electric parking brake is deactivated even if "Auto hold" is activated and the driver's seatbelt is not buckled."

I found that "feature" of not moving unless the seatbelt is buckled to be actually dangerous in city driving, when someone is trying to figure out why the car isn't moving and traffic behind you starts to react.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I was letting a passenger out at the curb at a very busy shopping center and had the same thing happen. Folks behind me didn't appreciate it much, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
I was letting a passenger out at the curb at a very busy shopping center and had the same thing happen. Folks behind me didn't appreciate it much, but I thought it was kinda funny.
When I first got the car and this happened (and not realizing I hadn't put on my seatbelt), the car was shutting off at every intersection I stopped at! I pulled over and called Volvo On Call and they didn't have an answer. I then called my dealer's service department and he got me set straight--definitely should have been something the dealer told me about (as well as tell me about the USB left in the glove box as a third "key"). After subsequently being in the situation of wanting a quick getaway (entering the car and seeing there's an opening to get back into city street traffic) you could sometimes get a somewhat quick getaway by hitting the parking brake button to disengage while tapping the accelerator at the same time. Glad though they have fixed this "feature" in the newest software rev.