Replacement Key FOB

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2009 XC90
Is there an alternative to a dealer when replacing a key/FOB? So far haven't had much luck finding a source other than a dealer.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
I found a smart key on eBay that I purchased. I will still need to have it programed by the dealer. There are very few locksmiths that can program a key for this vehicle.
Manny

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 T6 XC90
i believe mainly the dealers are able to program the key. you can buy the key itself online but will need the dealer to program it for you.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2009 XC90
Thanks for the information!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
XC90 2016
you are stuck with volvo for registration of you fob, despite how much you spared with it outside volvo's rip-off

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
I purchased a used key and asked the dealer to program it. He said that in order to program the key he needs the original number that was associated with the key. Kind of like a product key that comes with windows. Without it you cannot program the key. I was able to return the key for credit.
Manny

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
XC90 2016
To a certain extent it is good that you can only get keys through Volvo, and with unique ID protection.
This would be too risky if not. Imagine that anyone could make a fob out of ebay and your vin number!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
Smart Keys

I don't believe that is a concern. When I had a Toyota Prius with the smart key as well as a Highlander with a smart key, you could take a used key and actually program the key yourself. It did not program by putting in the Vin Number. You did need the actual car to program the key. So there is no chance you could program a key for your neighbor by just knowing their Vin. Now with the Volvo, you cannot program the key without having access to the software which is held by Volvo and a few Lock Companies. They can only program the key if they have the original key code and then it is also connected to the car. The keys cost around $400 each and it costs around $150 to program one. It could be that the technician just did not want to program the key. I am not sure. The Volvo car will allow up to around 8 keys to be programed. That is what I recall reading.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
You forgot to add another $130 for the shell for the smart key. Then there is the blank key that must be cut. The dealer told me $150 for programming

Reactions
City
Sarasota
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I thought I had lost my leather wrapped Inscription fob (found it THANKFULLY - here's why):
Inscription fob is three parts.
The inner hard plastic remote itself -$180
Leather shell -$200
Interior manual key - $80
Software to program it -$75
LABOR to program it $85
A GRAND TOTAL of $620 to replace your leather XC90 fob at a dealership.
This is an ABSURDITY.
Key takeaway (no pun intended)? Do NOT EVER LOSE YOUR FOB! Volvo will take your first born.

abishoff

Reactions
City
Krugerville
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
I thought I had lost my leather wrapped Inscription fob (found it THANKFULLY - here's why):
Inscription fob is three parts.
The inner hard plastic remote itself -$180
Leather shell -$200
Interior manual key - $80
Software to program it -$75
LABOR to program it $85
A GRAND TOTAL of $620 to replace your leather XC90 fob at a dealership.
This is an ABSURDITY.
Key takeaway (no pun intended)? Do NOT EVER LOSE YOUR FOB! Volvo will take your first born.
I’m in the middle of this right now. Any other options here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk