SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
PA3 is out. Supposedly good up to 120mph now, and better corner control. $600 to upgrade, I'll report more after some driving time.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
It's not the speed increase that matters to me; it's the inconsistency around curves. Looking forward to finding out what you think.

Jujigatame

Reactions
City
Livingston
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
What is PA?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription

Dingankar

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90 T8
Does anyone know if the 2019's XC90 T8's come with PA2 or the PA3?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Shows in the system, but is not available quite yet....bummer!

Reactions
City
Annapolis
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2006 Acura TL
Is there hardware to swap with this upgrade? $600 seems like a lot for a software update to me. If it's all labor, that's 6 hours at $100/hour... or are we paying for the software development of bug fixes / enhancements? What's your take?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
It is only a software upgrade for PA2. Yes, I agree $600 is to much, but what are ya gonna do?

There was a "Free" update with PA2 that seemed to improve braking smoothness. Updates are free, new software costs, like with everything else when upgrading.

Last edited:

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
My wife took our 2018 Inscription in for a service, and they updated the software; now upon start-up there's a checklist of the main driving applications in the center of the driver's instrument panel. Any ideas what else the updated software brings?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
My wife took our 2018 Inscription in for a service, and they updated the software; now upon start-up there's a checklist of the main driving applications in the center of the driver's instrument panel. Any ideas what else the updated software brings?
That was the PA2 update. With, I noticed smoother braking.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
That was the PA2 update. With, I noticed smoother braking.
My 2018 came with PA2 standard when I bought it last November.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
Anyone else have a recent software update (Volvo on Call?) like I did? Now upon start-up there's a checklist of the main driving applications in the center of the driver's instrument panel. Any ideas what else the updated software brings?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Volvo On Call is a application. All around braking improvement is the main thing I've noticed...maybe steering is a little better. Startup screen on the Sensus seems a little faster, and this upgrade may help with Sensus' overheating issue....I have taken it a step further with tint and dot matrix film to shade the screen and help with sun reflecting off the chrome.
Back to braking, after entering the freeway, merging into traffic, and traveling at higher speeds, when you resume your previous much slower set speed, it no longer results in a harsh brake application, it now coasts a bit before trying to slow.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Volvo On Call is a application. All around braking improvement is the main thing I've noticed...maybe steering is a little better. Startup screen on the Sensus seems a little faster, and this upgrade may help with Sensus' overheating issue....I have taken it a step further with tint and dot matrix film to shade the screen and help with sun reflecting off the chrome.
Back to braking, after entering the freeway, merging into traffic, and traveling at higher speeds, when you resume your previous much slower set speed, it no longer results in a harsh brake application, it now coasts a bit before trying to slow.
How do you get this software upgrade? I take my car in for service and they do a free update, bu nothing changes.
Also, how do I get PA? My 16 inscription only has city assist with no adaptive cruise control. Is there a way to upgrade to it?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
How do you get this software upgrade? I take my car in for service and they do a free update, bu nothing changes.
Also, how do I get PA? My 16 inscription only has city assist with no adaptive cruise control. Is there a way to upgrade to it?
Unfortunately, you need hardware along with software to upgrade to PA2. I believe it's around $1500. Updates to each version are free, and your service department should check at every service, and verify that you have the latest version installed.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Unfortunately, you need hardware along with software to upgrade to PA2. I believe it's around $1500. Updates to each version are free, and your service department should check at every service, and verify that you have the latest version installed.
I just had a loaner 19 xc60 and the park feature was so interesting and useful. They have made a lot of changes to their cars.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I have additional info on the latest (paid) Intellisafe updates (11/20/18).
(Number of updates depends on model year)

There are Intellisafe Support Upgrades which include:
Run-off road Mitigation
BLIS™ with Steer Assist and Cross Traffic Alert
Oncoming Lane Mitigation
Oncoming Mitigation by Braking

Pilot Assist now functions up to 125 mph when following another vehicle.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
If someone has descriptions of each of these that would be great.

Main question though: Is the steering around curves more reliable now? In my 2018, it's 50/50 and so I don't trust it.

Another feature they should incorporate is some audible tone if the Pilot Assist steering goes off; only way one knows now is if the green steering wheel icon goes gray. Not a good solution.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
If someone has descriptions of each of these that would be great.

Main question though: Is the steering around curves more reliable now? In my 2018, it's 50/50 and so I don't trust it.

Another feature they should incorporate is some audible tone if the Pilot Assist steering goes off; only way one knows now is if the green steering wheel icon goes gray. Not a good solution.
Yes to your main question :) With the run-off mitigation, it seems to pick up the right side line much better.
You still need to be careful on the first corner, if it is close to when you first engage Pilot Assist.

Follow the link below for description.
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-514185/2016