vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
just wondering has anyone installed the apple carplay? this option was not available when I ordered mine, and had asked about it before, the dealership said it would be free and it would only be a software upgrade when it becomes available. Now, it is available and the software is 300$ plus a labor of 105$. LABOR??? can anyone verify this with your dealership. I can understand the software but to charge for labor(downloading to a USB and plugging in the vehicle) I think is a bit too much.

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I called, they said it was a free update and to schedule a time.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
In the US, for cars before a certain date, the CarPlay addition is free of charge. Dealers charging a service fee is ridiculous on a car this pricey when the feature was not available at the time of purchase. We had it installed a couple weeks back. Love it. Voice command works like it should (native Volvo voice ID terrible), the UI is intuitive. Biggest upside is the text communication being enabled. Biggest bummer is that Navigation map doesn't sync/parlay to the native Volvo navigation and there is no Volvo App in CarPlay to send a destination to the car. As a result, you must use the center display and not the little map between the Speedometer and Odometer, which is awesome. Phone must be cabled into the USB port in the console, which may put some folks off.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 VolvoXC
There is a charge. My dealer charged me $300, no labor. I emailed Volvo and they sent me a certificate for a 10%rebate. It is worth every penny!

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Just an update friends, I finally got the apple CarPlay installed today and am happy to say that I did not pay for it. I guess if you ordered your xc90 before the software was available, contact volvo first and ask about it. (NOT YOUR DEALERSHIP) and yes I did whine a bit too. Although the download and install took the whole day. First attempt was a fail, dealership said it would only take about 30mns, after being there half of the day, they messed up my software, lots of things not working after... So we resched for today, they picked up my vehicle from work and left me with a loaner. They worked on it the whole day and finally it's done. Haven't really fiddled with it yet. Hopefully it's as good as everyone is sayin. Cheers!!!

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Just an update friends, I finally got the apple CarPlay installed today and am happy to say that I did not pay for it. I guess if you ordered your xc90 before the software was available, contact volvo first and ask about it. (NOT YOUR DEALERSHIP) and yes I did whine a bit too. Although the download and install took the whole day. First attempt was a fail, dealership said it would only take about 30mns, after being there half of the day, they messed up my software, lots of things not working after... So we resched for today, they picked up my vehicle from work and left me with a loaner. They worked on it the whole day and finally it's done. Haven't really fiddled with it yet. Hopefully it's as good as everyone is sayin. Cheers!!!
Thanks for the update.