City
SLC
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Also if anyone had the harness replaced, what were you charged? What they quoted me seems outrageous

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
A couple of thoughts; 1) if you have a decent relationship with your service advisor (always work to keep this) you can ask them and the service manager to go to bat for you with Volvo (it helped in my case, I had another problem with the back door that Volvo agreed to pick up) 2) if you exhaust all of this, I would go to an independent shop as they charge much less per hour than the dealer, dealers rates are ridiculously high, plus they may not charge 'book' rate for the work. I did not have any electrical issues so I can't comment on that part of the issue. Sorry to hear about this, this massive repair bills drive me nuts. I finally gave up and traded mine in on a Certified Volvo with a 4 year unlimited mile warranty due to problems like this.

Reactions
City
Redondo Beach
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC-90
I see these posts are from a while ago so not sure anyone will see it but I’m having the same issue with my 2016 model. I live in Utah so never had an issue before because we barely had precipitation but took a road trip to Seattle in Dec. it rained a lot the entire week and I noticed water dripping from behind the rear view mirror. Shortly after started getting different codes, such as airbag malfunction, city safe driving impaired, as well as others. Heater and seat warmers also stopped working. Upon retuning I took it to my mechanic but after 2 weeks they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I went to pick it up and take it to the dealership repair shop. At that time it was still running. In the middle of the street the parking brake suddenly came on and couldn’t be disengaged, after which the car froze. I had to have it towed in. After a week they finally just told me that it was a sunroof drain problem resulting from a faulty windshield install (I had the windshield replaced a few months ago by Safelite). When I asked them for specifics on how that would happen they were very evasive about it. They even admitted not being glass replacement experts. When contacting Safelite I was told that they do not even touch the drains when replacing the windshield. Safelite went to look at the car, and even did a water test, after which they said the leak seems to be coming from behind the dash console. They denied responsibility. Volvo dealer insists that the problem is the glass install. They say they need to replace the wiring harness to start with, and potentially other parts, as water damage is everywhere. Cost is $12,500 right of the bat. I did not give them the ok because I’m still in shock, and reading these posts that sound so similar I can’t help to think that Volvo is at fault. I was told by the Volvo shop that since it’s out of warranty Volvo will not pay. I am not sure what to do for a next step. Paying that amount or even more is outrageous. At this point if i do fix it I will sell it and never buy a Volvo again. Has anyone had luck with Volvo paying to fix the problem and if so how did you go about it. Any suggestion about how to deal with this is greatly appreciated
I am having the same issue, just purchased a used 2016 XC-90 and rain got in through the damn rearview mirror, and tons of water inside the back right pocket near the second fuse box. What a mess. Can't believe that there isn't a recall on this..

Reactions
City
Redondo Beach
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC-90
Also if anyone had the harness replaced, what were you charged? What they quoted me seems outrageous
$12,500 seems absolutely outrageous.

Reactions
City
Liberty
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
We are having the exact issues described here. 2016 XC90 T6. Please let me know if anyone finds a solution and if Volvo will pay.

Parsobs

Reactions
City
Dorhan
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90
We are having the exact issues described here. 2016 XC90 T6. Please let me know if anyone finds a solution and if Volvo will pay.
Add us to the list! Same situation as Wally D detailed post above. Bought used in August of this year, 85k miles, clean history. Car computer/electrical went haywire, disabled in middle of road. Insurance claim denied as of yesterday due to “maintenance”, service tech’s initial comments were cost could potentially total the car of relays et al had to be replaced. Appealing to Volvo corporate for relief, any guidance appreciated. Scrubbed the 2016 manual and saw nothing regarding cleaning sunroof drain plugs

Last edited:

Parsobs

Reactions
City
Dorhan
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90
Monday at 7:42 AM

To All - (re: our 2016 Volvo XC90 T6):

We have had a very unpleasant experience with clogged sunroof drains causing in excess of $5,000 in damage and presenting significant driver/passenger safety issues. These issues are presented with photos in our NHTSA complaint #11417805 - here is a link the attachment.....

https://static.nhtsa.gov/complaints/11417805/11417805-0003.pdf

I also would like to note that this forum link to "terms and privacy", failed to function during my registration this morning 6/7/21.
Wally D, any resolution? Thnx for sharing

raanank

Reactions
City
SAN JOSE
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I'm experiencing the same issue and just found the following