City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription
I own a 2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge. I recently had a 220-240V dedicated line installed for Level 2 Charging. The line has a 20Amp circuit breaker.

When I charge using this 220V-240V line, very often the red light illuminates on the charger line dongle and charge stops. in a short time, the red light comes on and the cycle is repeated. During a charging cycle, the charging will stop 6-8 times.

I had the power company come out and check the voltage. The voltage at the 220V-240V outlet is 243 volts which they say is well within spec.
I have had the electrician come out and he has checked the line and has found no issues.

The dealership has provided a new dongle and the same issue is occurring.

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Hello @Fortunate,

I have had very similar issues with a “portable” 220-240v charger that came with the car. Very temperamental.
I also found that the XC90 stops charging with some older public chargers.
In my case I installed an EVBOX charger in my garage and it does charge solidly from beginning to end without any hesitations.
I suspect that the Volvo onboard BMS (Battery Management System) is poor quality and very temperamental.
I also suspect… no, I know that it only supports 3.6kWh charging which is absolutely ridiculous and u justifiable in a car that costs 80K+++.
Hope this helps a little, you’re not alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk