froxfield
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volvo XC90 2.4D5
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated as even a Volvo dealership in the UK are stumped.
I have recently had the turbo replaced and my mechanic can find no other fault with the car.
The car is still emitting a lot of blue smoke as soon as its warmed up and I'm not sure if I should be driving it or not.
The mechanic has looked at the intercooler but hasn't removed it and checked the feed pipes and doesn't think there is any damage.
Can anyone offer any advice?

Reactions
City
Coal Twp.
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
You speak of several issues. You recently had the turbo replaced. Why? I ask because when turbos "go bad" the first thing they generally do is smoke. Usually the seals go bad and the oil seeps by the seals and escapes out the exhaust along with the burned gas hence the smoke. The smoke should be blue. The only other issue that can happen in normal use is the "death whine" that occurs when the turbine starts to wobble within the housing because it gets worn. There is a loss of power and the whine is very apparent. As for the intercooler and the hoses if they were not connected properly the vehicle would literally run like garbage. I would suspect that the turbo put on it is bad. Seals if blue smoke. Also to verify the fluid use keep tabs on your oil (blue smoke) or antifreeze coolant (white smoke). Good Luck