TPMS sensors on winter tires?

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Hey guys, i picked up a set of winter rims+tires for my xc90 (2016) and wanted to get clarification on the TPMS sensor pairing process.

The dealer is telling me the sensors have to be reprogrammed into the computer each time you swap? is that true? my other (older) car has the same issue and i'm surprised to hear manufactures haven't fixes this problem by enabling the storage of 8x TMPS sensors.

Can anyone confirm? if the xc90 can only store 4x sensors i may have to go the "cloned" sensor route... which, trust me on this one; is still a massive pain in the as*.

Thanks,

Robbo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION 2017
Hey guys, i picked up a set of winter rims+tires for my xc90 (2016) and wanted to get clarification on the TPMS sensor pairing process.

The dealer is telling me the sensors have to be reprogrammed into the computer each time you swap? is that true? my other (older) car has the same issue and i'm surprised to hear manufactures haven't fixes this problem by enabling the storage of 8x TMPS sensors.

Can anyone confirm? if the xc90 can only store 4x sensors i may have to go the "cloned" sensor route... which, trust me on this one; is still a massive pain in the as*.

Thanks,
Pretty sure that the monitoring system uses the wheel speed to determine as to wether the tyre pressure is to low or high, so a tyre with a low pressure will travel at a different speed and set off the alarm. Simple process to re calibrate the TMPS system and only has to be done the one time after changing tyres or adjustment of pressures. No big deal.

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
i've heard some sensor-less systems being used by Audi and BMW (i think) but from what i can tell Volvo still uses physical sensors that have to be installed in the tire. no?

Robbo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION 2017
Just changed my tyres to Michelin from the Continental’s as they were far to noisy, seen inside the rims and tyres while they were being fitted and definitely no physical sensors fitted to mine anyway.

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Just changed my tyres to Michelin from the Continental’s as they were far to noisy, seen inside the rims and tyres while they were being fitted and definitely no physical sensors fitted to mine anyway.
Mind me asking what model and year you have?

i have a 2016 xc90 and i'm being told by the dealer i need internal sensors?

Robbo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION 2017
2017model XC90 / T6 / Incription.
Defo no interal sensors in mine, pretty lousy sensor system mind as have had two puncture’s and nearly running on rims when alerted to the problem.

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
i did some more digging and it all makes sense now... 2016 has physical TPMS sensors but for the 2017 model they switched to ABS TMPS sensors.

i bought one year too soon!

Thanks for the help Robbo

Robbo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION 2017
That answers that then, both learned something. Thinking back when I was getting a price on my new tyres the guy did ask if I had metal of rubber tyre valves, suspect maybe the sensors are fitted in the metal ones.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Volvo XC90 (First Generation) 0