City
Troutdale
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2005 Volvo XC90 T6
So here's the deal. I have a 2005 XC90 T6 with an odd starting issue. It will crank over for literally 3 seconds then stop. I turn the key back and go to start again and same thing, cranks for 3 seconds and stops. Since I've owned this car it would always start within 3-5 seconds, so it stops cranking over right before it would normally start. I get the message "Immobilizer, See Manual". I've looked into that and I think I have it narrowed down to the CEM. The thing that puzzles me the most is how it will only crank over for 3 seconds each time. I have never seen this kind of issue before with any vehicle. I need to get this thing back on the road, as my car is my job, so this is causing a bit of stress right now.

Reactions
City
Keizer
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD
Oh man, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your conundrum. Have you tried a different key? A buddy of mine had the same message come up on his S60 and it was that the immobilizer responder in his key had somehow broken. Also, how old is the battery? A weak/bad/failing battery can create all sorts of hiccups and gremlins.

Reactions
City
Troutdale
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2005 Volvo XC90 T6
Oh man, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your conundrum. Have you tried a different key? A buddy of mine had the same message come up on his S60 and it was that the immobilizer responder in his key had somehow broken. Also, how old is the battery? A weak/bad/failing battery can create all sorts of hiccups and gremlins.
I only have one key for it. The battery was new in April. The thing that really gets me is how it will crank over for 3 seconds every time then just stop cranking. It cranks at normal speed, not slow at all like it would if the battery was weak.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I had trouble with one of my keys too and changed the battery in it and had it reprogrammed. Problem fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
The immobiliser chip in the key is completely passive, and continues to work when the key has no battery in it. The immobiliser chip is activated by the antenna ring around the ignition switch. That is the cheapest and simplest thing to replace, if you are having any immobiliser trouble. The CEM is next, but that costs a lot more to replace.

At any rate, scan the car with Vida and that will reveal much more information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk