skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I received a flyer in the mail from Volvo this week informing me that the second generation of pilot assist is available as an add on for the 2016 XC90's (it's standard on the 2017 models). I was wondering if anyone has added this yet and if so did you have any issues; the XC90 has its share of software glitches so I'm a little leery of adding on new software. I was also curious if anyone has any idea how much the add on costs.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
I got the same flyer and called today for an appointment. Our cars 16 XC90's were designed for this upgrade but it was not available Legal? until now.
It cost $399 for the software update.
I am getting it done Monday, Jan 9th.
Can advise after the update if I like it, works as advertised, etc.

I received a flyer in the mail from Volvo this week informing me that the second generation of pilot assist is available as an add on for the 2016 XC90's (it's standard on the 2017 models). I was wondering if anyone has added this yet and if so did you have any issues; the XC90 has its share of software glitches so I'm a little leery of adding on new software. I was also curious if anyone has any idea how much the add on costs.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
for the new owner with gen 2 pilot assist, how is the performance?? I am very excited to have this installed but still very unsure about the whole autonomous driving thing..

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
for the new owner with gen 2 pilot assist, how is the performance?? I am very excited to have this installed but still very unsure about the whole autonomous driving thing..
We had this update installed two weeks ago and LOVE it.
It does not work well on curvy roads (even though you might have painted lines on both sides of your lane) because it twitches too much trying to follow the lines in the curves. On a straight highway it is awesome. As someone else pointed out, you find yourself not remembering past events on the highway because it does so much of the driving for you.
We love it!

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Just an update friends, got the upgrade installed today, will pick up after work. My dealer charged me 292.95$ including tax. can't wait to try it out. I hope no one gets charged more than this. Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Just an update friends, got the upgrade installed today, will pick up after work. My dealer charged me 292.95$ including tax. can't wait to try it out. I hope no one gets charged more than this. Cheers!!!

Thats a great price. Mine wanted $400 [?|]

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
We got our flyer from Volvo and paid $295 for it. Love it. I'm such a lazy driver now because my car makes sure I'm safe.

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I ended up getting it ($265 including tax). So far I'm not sure it's worth it. On curves in the road it tends to follow the outside of the curve (I tend to hug the inside line) to the point where it will occasionally drift over the line. This definitely does not make me feel safer. On a straight road it might be nice, but where I live, all the highways are fairly winding so I find myself either overriding it or nervously waiting for it to fail.

Profil3r

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I had a laugh when I saw an article referred to the system as one of Volvo's nannies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Everyone is different of course, but I tend to end up applying pressure against what the Pilot Assist is doing. Ends up more tiresome. I often revert back to just the adaptive cruise control.

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Hi. Is this only for 2017? I have the 2016 xc90 inscription first edition. Thanks!!

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Hi. Is this only for 2017? I have the 2016 xc90 inscription first edition. Thanks!!

No, if you have the Pilot assist gen 1, you can have it upgraded to the 2nd generation.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I have a 2016 XC90, but it did not have Pilot Assist or Adaptive Cruise when I got it. I just paid to have both of those features added on, and it cost $1981.44 total.

But, it appears that they added the first generation Pilot Assist instead of Gen II. Any speed over 30 and it says, "Not available. Speed too high." Also, if I happen to be going under 30 it usually says, "Unavailable. No lead vehicle detected." I have a call in to the service department but haven't spoken to anyone yet.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
the PA gen1 is only up to 30mph and tracks the vehicle in front of you while the PA gen2 supposedly follows the lines on the road to keep you centered and up to 80mph. check your invoice If it was really just the PA gen1 that you paid for, from there its just a software upgrade to the gen2. if you actually asked for the gen2 to be installed they should not ask for another labor charge, maybe just the price of the software if you hadn't paid that already..

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
'16 T6 Inscription
Reviving this almost 2-year-old thread in hopes that those who have had the upgrade completed will chime in with their experiences over that time. I have an appointment next week to have my ‘16 CPO Inscription upgraded and if I’m going to spend the $340 they are telling me the two (?) software packages cost I want to ensure it is worth it.

I’ve been quite impressed with what my V1 software can do autonomously up to 30 MPH but love the idea of the capability at highway speeds. I had a ‘19 XC60 loaner while my 10K service was being completed and really enjoyed that feature.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Pilot assist gen2 was an amazing upgrade for me! 70mph is a good speed for me and the vehicle tracks very good even on winding roads. 75-80mph and you get the occasional lane change...

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
'16 T6 Inscription
My PA2 ($340 less 10% dealer coupon) upgrade was completed this morning along with the Intellisafe Support Upgrade (complimentary) and so far, so good. Handled a highway speed of 75 MPH with gentle curves on the way to my office really well. I'm curious to see how it does at 80-85 MPH so I'll get that done on an upcoming road trip. I think this will be super handy while eating cereal/shaving/brushing my teeth during my morning commutes... I kid.