North Lawrence
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Volvo XC90
Hi There!
I just bought a 2007 XC90 V8 with 126,000 miles. Looked to be in nice shape, test drove it and bought it for $5,000. A week later I noticed what I thought was a little power steering fluid on the ground underneath the car. Checked and added some fluid. However, that fluid turned out to be transmission fluid. Only a few drops per day, but my Volvo mechanic tells me it's serious because there's no place to add tranny fluid, it's a sealed unit. And if it's leaking, there will be serious trouble some day. He said there is a shaft seal that needs to be replaced. So it's now in the shop undergoing a major fix. Apparently they have to drop the front axle and transmission shaft just to get to it. Depending on how it goes, I could be looking at another $5,000 just to get it fixed! So I'll probably have about $10,000 in a 15 yr. old car that's got 126,000 miles on it. My question is that so bad? Are they that much fun to own and drive?

Will it last 200,000 miles? There's no rust and the thing looks like new underneath.

Thanks,

Larry in Ohio

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
My 2006 XC90 V8 is just under 200,000 miles runs great. But indeed repairs are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk