my xc90 has been t-boned

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 xc90
3 weeks ago on 11/25/19 my wife was t-boned in Orlando. just so happened the guy who hit her works for Geico. last week got estimate of 22,262.96. the body repair shop wants to cut the b pillar out and replace it. this will require the roof to be removed to weld the new b pillar in place. Has anybody ever heard of this being done on any car? my wife and both are of the opinion that the structural integrity of the car will be compromised. 2017 xc90 t6 inscription, 71115 miles. any help would be greatly appreciated

Reactions
City
ATHENS
State
Non-US
Country
Greece
What I Drive
XC90 D5 Inscription
That should be a total loss, shouldn't it?? I wouldn't feel safe in terms of structural integrity... If I was in your shoes I'd push the insurance co for a "total loss/beyond repair" claim.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 xc90
That should be a total loss, shouldn't it?? I wouldn't feel safe in terms of structural integrity... If I was in your shoes I'd push the insurance co for a "total loss/beyond repair" claim.
found out today the body shop is clueless. LAWYER contacted. Update soon. Also Geico has lied to me. More Lawyer. Beware of Geico!

Reactions
City
New Washington
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Everything
That style of repair is common for that sort of damage. Any high quality body shop should be able to handle it. Total losses only happen when the repair value exceeds a certain dollar amount of what the vehicle’s worth is.

Reactions
City
Milton Keynes
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2009 XC90 R Design 2.4 diesel
The roof, pillars and some of the structure are high-boron steel. It can be welded, but the heat weakens it - no matter what they do it will never be as strong. I wouldn't be comfortable having one repaired in that situation.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 xc90
Finally got car from Coggins Collision in Kissimmee. Wife drove to Jacksonville to visit with youngest daughter and family. She was told the car had been road tested and every okay. LIE! Car was pulling to the left, air ride suspension was not working. Went to Osteen Volvo in Jacksonville. Head service manager would not let her leave after finding these 2 issues plus after putting car on rack discovered 2 seam welds that had begun to SEPERATE. after 3 more weeks of repair by a Volvo certified body shop, which we found out Coggins is not a Volvo certified repair facility, Osteen called and said to come and get it. Have not had any more issues yet. But I am not finished with Geico or Coggins. If for some reason anybody has to go to a body shop make absolutely certain they are Volvo certified. More later