dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
I have found out by accident that my 2016 XC-90 will cut itself off when I get to my destination and put my car in Park then simply open the driver's door within 5-10 seconds. I do NOT have to turn the Stop Engine button to Stop.
Everything (Radio) goes off too hence I know it turns itself off.
Cool!

If I sit in the car with it continuing to run after putting the car in Park more than 15-20 seconds (say on a phone call), this does NOT work.
Interesting.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Nice thanks for the headsup.

evilempire

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
yes found out about that today also unexpectedly at the Car Wash - went to get out to let the guys get to it and the car shutoff. Was a real pain for them, also then the parking brake wouldn't release till someone was belted in the driver seat.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
I found out one can override the seat belt requirement /auto brake release by pushing the parking brake release manually while still unbelted.
Good safety measure as Volvo wants to make sure you understand what you are doing (moving vehicle unbelted).

evilempire

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
I found out one can override the seat belt requirement /auto brake release by pushing the parking brake release manually while still unbelted.
Good safety measure as Volvo wants to make sure you understand what you are doing (moving vehicle unbelted).
Thanks for the info - I'll give that a try.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T5
I believe this is a safety feature to prevent the rolling and crushing accidents similar to the Jeep Grand Cherokee incident that killed Anton Yelchin. It can be confusing to predict when it will turn itself off and when it won't, though.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Sweden
Yea i guess this is to avoid confusion when start / stop feature is active. So if the engine is stopped and you put it in park and open the door. It will as a safety measure shut down.

One other scenario that i believe have also happened is when people got home and parked in their garage. The engine stopped they go inside the house (without realizing the car is still on). After a while the battery is so low the car will start the engine. The exhaust fumes might then in worst case kill someone sleeping.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
The car will start up engine if battery is too low? Are you sure? That does not make sense from safety standpoint.