dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Over the past week, our windscreen sensor / windshield sensor has stopped working several times. It has restarted / corrected itself but now has gone out for good. The first time, there was no rain or dirt on the windshield.
The 2nd time, it was raining with the wipers in the on position.
A message "Windscreen sensor blocked/ not working" appears on the info screens and message stores in the message screen.
The 2nd time when it was raining, the windshield wipers were cleaning/ clearing the windshield constantly.

Rainsense and Adaptive Cruise / Cruise will not engage with this issue; only manual control of the wipers.

I am thinking a bad sensor in the windshield but I have an appointment at the local dealership to diagnose / replace it tomorrow.

Just curious if anyone else has had to have theirs replaced/ repaired?

Last edited:

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I know this may be an obvious question but your windshield is clean from bug guts correct?

You can push the O button on the steering wheel to clear the warning message.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Yes, thanks. I edited my post. This happened with the windshield wipers On in a full rainstorm so windshield was being "cleaned" with each swipe of the wipers.
Also, cruise control and Rainsense would not engage at all.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Dealership said this is a "software update" issue.
Another software issue. Interesting. Will update after I get the car back in service if further issues.

Update; Rainsense wipers now fixed as of Monday May 29th but Cruise Control / Adaptive not working with same message, "Windshield sensor blocked (See Owners Manual).

Returned to Dealership on Tuesday, May 30th but still being repaired. Dealership has replicated the problem but does not think hardware issue (bad sensor) so working on it. Called in Tech. Support (Corporate?). Thinking software issue but not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Just had this very same issue with my sensor. Driving in a downpour and lost the cruise control with the error message "windscreen sensor blocked" I pulled over at a rest stop and inspected the windshield. No bugs, no cracks, clean as a whistle. Restarted the car and drove off. About 15 min down the road in sunny skies, the error message disappeared and I got the cruise control back in action. Now that I read the post above I can think of one instance in which the cruise just turned off by itself. As I have only had the car less than a week I assumed it was me pressing something on the steering wheel. Maybe not. When I purchased the car, used at Crest Volvo they left a card inside which indicated some kind of software update had been done. Is there a way to retrieve the error message in Sensus? Any more info on the outage on your car dloftis?

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Update on my car. Local dealership worked last week 4 days on this issue.
They replaced a part (do not have the work ticket yet) and changed/ updated the software. We drove it over the weekend and initially the Auto wipers worked with Cruise on but NO wet windshield. After a few driving cycles over the past weekend, it seems to have resolved itself.
Will update this if any changes.
So my take is there is a definite problem with this issue (hardware and software); not just steering wheel (or other) input problems.
The dealership HAD to replicate (see the problem) in action. They drove my car while they had it and found it on the 2nd day. They said the Sensus did NOT store the message for my car.

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Hi. Any resolve on this. It happens to me as well and of course always on long trips! Cleaning windshield by sensor doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albisson

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 xc90
I have the same problem and it comes on every day!!! My o button doesn't work either

Dealer is doing nothing to help.

Hi. Any resolve on this. It happens to me as well and of course always on long trips! Cleaning windshield by sensor doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk