City
Elwood
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 XC90
Have owned this 2010 XC90 less than a year. When I put it in drive it switches to manual mode without moving selector to the left. Also on a side note had someone back into us in a parking lot, their rear to our front. Anything behind the bumper cover that might need attention, there are parking sensors in the back just not sure if anything hidden in the front. TIA

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
Have owned this 2010 XC90 less than a year. When I put it in drive it switches to manual mode without moving selector to the left. Also on a side note had someone back into us in a parking lot, their rear to our front. Anything behind the bumper cover that might need attention, there are parking sensors in the back just not sure if anything hidden in the front. TIA
The gear position indicator being faulty is likely the gear position switch in the gear lever. Remove trim and lift gear lever boot and inspect. There is a ribbon cable which can get damaged, this may be your problem.

As for front bumpers: you know if you have parking sensors as you can see them really easily.
The only other items installed in the bumper are fog lamps (down low) and headlight washers.
Behind the bumper is a foam impact absorber and a crash bar.

If you see no visible damage, and the bumper shows no signs of having moved (all the panel gaps are still OK) them you may be OK. The foam impact absorber may have become deformed, but is it worth removing the bumper to find out? Maybe not.

Otherwise, if you see signs of damage, then a bumper removal for inspection would be worthwhile. As well as the foam absorber there is a crash bar crossmember. That can get deformed if the impact is hard enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Elwood
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 XC90
Thanks for your reply. This has become an intermittent problem with the shifter. I will pull the shifter bezel and boot to take a look. Haven't found an aftermarket switch in my searches.