something flew out on the freeway!

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
I heard a loud noise and saw something flat fly out from under my rig... what was that??

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
Didn't you say it was your skid plate? which came loose when you went off-roading.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
Didn't you say it was your skid plate? which came loose when you went off-roading.
But, what if that's not what it is?? How can I tell what it was? Could it be anything else?

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
If it is flat and big, I think it is most likely the skid plate. you should have gone back to retrieve it. maybe still usable. You can look under the car to see if the undercarriage is now exposed. You really beat up this car huh? I personally think a Jeep wrangler or Toyota 4-runner will be more suited for off-roading.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
Yes, it was big, flat, and when it came out, the thud sound was more like a fiberglass sound, not metal... I think that's why I'm unsure about what it could have been. Aren't skid plates metal? I even saw what looked like a corner break off of the larger piece as is came out the back end.

:) I HOPE I didn't mess up the underside too bad, and as for the paint, I'm told the scratches will be easily rubbed out because they're only light scratches on the clear coat.

You're probably right about a Jeep being better for off-road driving, but, it was so much fun in my Volvo. How about if I just keep the off road driving to mud, not so much rocks? I think the vehicle height is an issue. Thinking I'll save up to get it lifted.

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
the easiest way is to look under and see if everything now is exposed. I haven't checked out my car, but I imagine the newer cars now will have the skid plate covering up the exhaust system and other undercarriage components. If you are for sure that big flat piece came off your car, I would strongly suggest you take the car to the dealer and have them check it out.
I think most of the SUV/corssover can handle a bit of rough/mud tracks. But once you are taking it to rocky road with tree and branches, I think a car you that don't care much about the scratches, dent, dings on the exterior or wheels will be a better choice. I did see people driving Porsche Cayenne Turbo off-roading. It is an old, beat up car though.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
Yeah, when I looked, there looked to be a fiberglass (maybe??) piece on the left side that was not the same on the right side. Does the skid plate come in 2 or more pieces?

I watched a YouTube video of somebody taking their xc90 off road. Please don't think I'm trying to ruin mine though...just trying to have a little fun with her.

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
Had a little too much fun. ha ha. Take the car in the dealer and have them check the undercarriage.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90
[driving]perhaps so... yes sir, I'll take it in. Thanks a lot for all your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Volvo XC90 (First Generation) 2