Octane Level Fuel Use

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 VolvoXC
I picked up my 2016 XC90 two weeks ago, LOVE IT! I am putting 93 octane in for the time being. However, the users manual says it "endorses" high octance, not require. I just read and article put out by Edmunds that listed the XC90 under Recommended and not Required for High Octane. It states if it is only recommended, you should not waste money on the higher octane fuel. Thoughts?

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Welcome aboard and congrats! As with some modern forced induction cars, high octane is recommended for maximum performance but it's not required. However since gas price is fairly cheap I would strongly encourage everyone to use high octane gas in their cars.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
My wife accidentally put regular a couple weeks ago, and it performed like a dog... enough that I noticed and asked her about it. Hurt the gas mileage, too. I'd stick with the recommended octane. I've had turbo-charged Saabs for 15 years, and even when the gas prices are high, I think you're talking about at most a couple $100s a year difference between running premium vs. regular. For this "savings", you get weak performance and weak gas mileage... and I'm not a racer, but when you need to merge or pass, I want my car to respond.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I've owned my T6 about three weeks. On the second tank of fuel now - dealer/sales people recommended premium, the owners manual recommends premium (for best performance). The second tank of gas is Shell Plus (middle grade). So far, I see no difference in performance or engine noise - i.e. no pinging. Average fuel mpg running around town is 25.9. So far so good. Mid-grade Plus is 89, premium is 93, fuel filler flap says 91 minimum. 89 is good enough for engine with no discernible issue.

Follow Up to Use of 89 Octane (mid-grade) fuel

Car is performing very well, approximately 2300 miles later, mpg is still great for around urban area. No engine noise or lack of performance.

Last edited:

leo.p2016

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I dont have the XC90 yet... Planning on getting the 2007 model years+..... But being that my parents had Euro vehicles in the past (BMWs, Benzes. .. Peougeots....and personally owned a 1998 Volvo V70 T5 wagon ) The minimum requirement of fuel is usually RON 95 (which is AKI 89 in North America.) True also on our rental when i was in Germany (C220 wagon kompressor) and yes i did a test since Germany still have RON 91(AKI 87)..... It dont ping under wot on the autobahn. Haha. Fuel millage tho was worse compared to RON95..... Anyways.... Id suggest stick with midgrade 89 if you want.... It will be fine.

As for Reg 87(RON91)..... Its ok in emergencies if the "small town" town youre visiting only have Reg gas (not sure how the regulation is in the US..Here in Canada even small towns have most grades tho if bought from the big fuel suppliers.

Hope this helps ... My rule is ..... If the compression ratio is 10:1 ... Id use from midgrade and up.

Sent from my MT2L03

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
Modern cars are fine using regular gasoline. I always put regular in the loaners. Also put that in my wife's old Mazda, which I don't care much about performance. But for my Porsche, Maserati, Mercededs, BMW, and the new Volvo, I always put 93. Costco doesn't have mid-grade. So I only go with the Premium.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Modern cars are fine using regular gasoline. I always put regular in the loaners. Also put that in my wife's old Mazda, which I don't care much about performance. But for my Porsche, Maserati, Mercededs, BMW, and the new Volvo, I always put 93. Costco doesn't have mid-grade. So I only go with the Premium.
I've also been very happy with Costco gas.

Jowillie

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
More important than octane may be using "Top Tier" fuels. The added cleaners and other additives do help with smooth running for the long run. It's usually a couple of cents per gallon more but that's a small amount for the difference it will make. I will admit my Volvos (XC90 & XC60) do run happier with higher octane.