HELP! Magic Blue Mettalic color - poor/incorrect paint job?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
So I just picked my beauty up from the collision center today, and long story short I am not liking them at all. They are privately owned and there is only one dealer within a 70-mile radius without a collision center. The only reason I chose this shop was because of their reviews, and guess what. Leave 1 5-star review on Google and you get a free $200 detailing job.
Anyways, this XC90 came from the factory with Magic Blue Mettalic, it is a stunning color. They got the color match pretty close, but it is nowhere near the mettalic paint form factory. This is especially noticeable at night. I have included a picture where they claimed they "blended" the paint in, but it is exactly the way I left it when I ceramic coated the car myself in the summer. It is much more visible in person.
It is at the hood and the fender.

I could be wrong, please let me know.

Attachments

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
'16 T6 Inscription
Definitely tough to tell from the photos. Just based on those it seems to match up. I have the same color and had my rear bumper and lift gate painted in the fall after a (not so bright) tow driver scratched both. Collision shop the dealer uses matched it up perfectly. Impossible to tell looking at it that it isn’t factory paint.

If I were you I’d take it to the dealer and let them have a look. Perhaps they could give you something in writing stating the color is off which you could then use to try and get the shop to do it again.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Can you park it out in the sun? Really hard to notice indoors.

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I guess I see what you mean on the fender metallic particles. This usually happens when they match the paint manually. As a result you would have a great color match but not the metallic particles as it’s not part of the paint used but added to the mix.

In short they are using manual paint mix and adding Metallic, rather than a premixed one with its own particles and then fading out the color to match.

Your best bet since your car is relatively very new, is to ask them to use an original paint code, repaint the parts, and do a full cutting / polishing of the vehicle and reapply the ceramic coating. There will be a mismatch of the color for a while until the new paint areas age a bit.

Ideally for dark colored cars in moderate climates and less than a year of age there should be at least a 95% match of the paint if not more.

It’s all about the paint quality and mix.

Worst case ask for a factory preprinted parts if you are seeking a 100% match.

Seems this workshop is cutting cost somewhere in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk