Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi guys,

I swear I have the worst luck... In the 4 months I have owned my XC90, I have cracked the windshield 3 times, been hit by debris off of a truck that dented the top of the car, backed it in to a cement barrier, had my dog puke all over the blond, perforated back seat and center console, hit a bird today and now I have a bird dropping stained sliding sunshade.

I had the top just popped up in the back with the sunshade slid forward. A fleet of birds ran a bombing run from behind and somehow hit that small opening. So, of course the top of the sunshade has bird crap on it and I don't see a way to have the top open and the sunshade closed so I would even have a small chance of cleaning the stains up.

Any advice?

Rob

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Rob,
I have not had your luck (bad that it is) but I have had leaves, debris come through when the sunroof is vented. I too, wondered how you get at the leaves stuck in the sunshade?
It would be nice if we could detach it somehow and drop it down to clean it.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
You guys just got me wondering too. Hopefully there's a way without having to drop the headliner.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi guys,

Here is what I did to resolve:

I popped the sunroof up and moved the sunshade back far enough to get my hand up there to the site that had the bird droppings. I was able to scrape the site with a tooth brush to clean dislodge the droppings from the mesh material.
I then took my electric leaf blower and blew the hard particles off the top of the mesh sunshade. I had to do it twice as I missed a few chunks the first time. I vacuumed the inside of the car afterwards.

As for the spots left by the bird droppings, I grabbed some "pet Resolve" carpet and upholstery cleaner. I sprayed it on a clean white microfiber cloth and gently scrubbed the area from below. There just isn't enough space to attack it from above. I just kept lightly scrubbing the area with resolve until I thought it was clean. Then I took a second clean, white, microfiber cloth saturated with hot water and scrubbed the same area to get as much of the Resolve out of the mesh as possible. Resolve will attract dirt if not removed. I repeated the hot water a couple times just to make sure.

It seemed to work well.

As far as the leaves, just get your leaf blower and blow them out the front of the sunshade, you can do the same with a hair dryer on cool. Just get your shop vac out afterwards to clean up the stuff from the seats or dash area.

Best of luck,

Rob

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vcRdesign For Sale 0
T For Sale 1