How is the perforated sunroof cover during mid summer day?

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2004 Mountaineer V8 225k orig miles
Those of you who have owned this car for a while and live in hot climates, does the cover give sufficient shade? I feel like the perforation won't allow for any escape from the sun/heat, whereas other cars have a solid shade. Plan on buying in sept. and doing my research now.

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 momentum, Denim Blue
The perforation on my MY2018's shade isn't quite as "perforated" as ones manufacturers use for side mirrors and rear windshields. They are a bit more opaque, although at high noon, you can tell where the sun is if you look up the closed shade.

I don't think it ever felt insufficient when you want it closed.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Lets too much sun in during summer time for my tastes...I bought these shades here at Amazon and they fit just about perfect side to side (a little short front to back on the front) and work great to add that extra layer of sun/heat block.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2004 Mountaineer V8 225k orig miles
thanks to you both for answering Assuming both of you have the lighter beige headliner? Wonder if it were a darker shade, it would block more light?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
FYI I've got the upgraded black interior on the ceiling, with a black shade.

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 momentum, Denim Blue
thanks to you both for answering Assuming both of you have the lighter beige headliner? Wonder if it were a darker shade, it would block more light?
My headliner is the beige one, yes. My assumption is that the fabric mesh density is the same, regardless of the color. In that sense, I expect the same amount of light passing through the gap between the fabric mesh.

Fabric color affects the absorption and reflection of heat, but I'm not sure how significant it is in practical terms.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
Volvo C50
It's pretty ok for my tastes, it lets a bit too much sun through but it doesn't really bother me , depends on the person I guess

Richxc90

Reactions
City
Ft myers
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 inscription
Live in south Florida, have black headliner , much hotter than expected. I have to wear a hat with the sunshade open( I am bald and feel my head cooking). No problems in my other vehicles with sunroofs and shades.

On another note- 6 months in and having major issues with car and Volvo USA will not honor warranty - still way within warranty period. This is my first and last Volvo. Back to Mercedes

thebishman

Reactions
City
Overland Park
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 T8; 2018 AMG GTR
My car has remained very cool when driving around in a KS summer. I have the lighter headliner. I do pre-condition the car at home before driving off and remote start it for about 5 minutes before leaving work, so this helps greatly.