dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
We just took our 2016 XC90 T6 in for 30k mile service.
We were told to replace the rear brake pads and rotors due to wear. This is the first car I can remember to ever have to replace brakes in the first 28k miles! And odd the rear brakes at that.
Think the electronic emergency brake wears these out faster than normal?

I did it and paid $850 for the service. Ouch!

Thoughts? Anybody else run into this ???

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I priced (4) new performance (Centric) rotors and Bendix CQ (ceramic) pads for $545 shipped to my door. I'm at 40k and am getting a quote from the dealership on replacement, as I now have a slight vibration from the rear rotors. Will post my quote.

If you look at Volvo Parts, you'll see the rotors are around $100 a piece, and pads $69 to $75....

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/...e=0&isAccessory=0&isPerformance=0&searchTerm=

Last edited:

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Your price is good, if they flushed the fluid with your service. $7xx for a rear brake job.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
update on brakes

Update today: 9 27 18
Having ALL of my rotors and pads replaced UNDER WARRANTY at 36k miles (40k mile service) today.
Rear pads and rotors replaced at 28k miles and 6 months ago and we paid for them ($800+).

Now Dealership states TSB from Volvo states front rotors and pads are prone to defects and to be replaced under warranty with customer complaints of vibration at braking (we have this).

All take notice and keep a watch on your brakes.

It is only two adults and 5 dogs travelling in the back for us so no weight issue here.
Dealerships states Volvo brake pads and rotors wear out FASTER for improved braking performance; ALWAYS been this way. Hmmm. Interesting.

At least Volvo is covering this time for all replaced and said they will again if in the next 12 months (1 year) or still under warranty.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
I wonder if the premature brake wear is because the "self-driving"/automated cruise control actively slows the car down all of the time (even when you adjust the cruise control speed downward) rather than letting the car coast down to the slower speed?

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Movan, my thoughts exactly. AND the automatic parking brake application as well. Just a thought.

Reactions
City
Wanamassa
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design
Same here. At 20k the dealer stated we have about 2k more miles before we need to do a rear brake replacement. The fronts were done at 17k (warped rotors). Does this concern anyone in terms of long term ownership?

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
The dealership says this brake replacement is "perfectly normal" for Volvos.
My issue is now Volvo corporate is covering the rotors (front and back) for warpage. Huh? Corporate says not normal and dealership says 8k miles ago it was/is normal.
Who is correct?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Warpage is not normal. Over 50k and my front brakes are still wonderfully smooth...and thats with plenty of spirited and long distance drives. Rears replaced at 40k

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
My dealer seems more like a scam to me, it looks like the smallest mom-and-pop shop in town, with the showroom heavily outdated. There used to be a previous dealer in our area that shut down... wouldn't be surprised if this one does too. Same for you guys?

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
I'm not keeping up with this thread... my rear breaks are getting near their end as well (37k) is this covered under warranty? or do i need to experience shaking for it to be covered?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I'm not keeping up with this thread... my rear breaks are getting near their end as well (37k) is this covered under warranty? or do i need to experience shaking for it to be covered?
No shaking, no problem...no warranty. Brakes are considered a wear item and I dought it will be covered.

My front brakes are pulsing at 27k miles...

apeg999

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
No shaking, no problem...no warranty. Brakes are considered a wear item and I dought it will be covered.

My front brakes are pulsing at 27k miles...
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I was told at an oil change visit that my front brake pads were due to be replaced. Took the car in and then they tell me fronts and rears need to be replaced. This seemed odd to me, (this was at about 30k miles) they replaced both and when I made a stink about it, they covered the costs of the rears. Now, took my car in for other issues this week and they are telling me my rears need to be replaced but the fronts are fine...currently at 65K...huh? They claimed the advanced braking resulted in the fronts/rears to need to be replaced together the first time and now the rears are wearing faster than the fronts? I'm 50+, have owned many cars, never seen anything like this.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
I was told at an oil change visit that my front brake pads were due to be replaced. Took the car in and then they tell me fronts and rears need to be replaced. This seemed odd to me, (this was at about 30k miles) they replaced both and when I made a stink about it, they covered the costs of the rears. Now, took my car in for other issues this week and they are telling me my rears need to be replaced but the fronts are fine...currently at 65K...huh? They claimed the advanced braking resulted in the fronts/rears to need to be replaced together the first time and now the rears are wearing faster than the fronts? I'm 50+, have owned many cars, never seen anything like this.
So you are having the same wear issue I experienced. Interesting. I guess our XC90's will just experience fast(er) brake wear over time? BTW, I love our XC90!

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
82k km and still first brake pads. I should reach 100k with no problems. XC90 2017 T8

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Just had our 60k miles service and replaced Rear brakes, pads, rotors again. Guessing now this is a 30k mile service going forward. We still LOVE this SUV!