satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 xc90 t6 momentum, Denim Blue
I wanted to have a cargo cover for when the 3rd row is in use. As we all know, the OE cargo cover is designed for when the 3rd row is in use. I wanted something that is flat enough to stow under the floormat.

The idea is to use the "shoulders" on the sides of the interior right behind the 3rd row seats as the support. But because it means the panel/cover needs to be wider than the hatchback opening, it needs to be able to fold to fit in, and then stay in place spanning the two shoulders. Also, it needs to fit on the floor of the cargo area.

Here's the cardboard prototype, with the front side pointing back (and vice versa). Its "front" is wider to span the shoulders of the interior.

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Because the front side is wider, I added one longitudinal fold line. Here's how the fold line allows the panel to fit through the hatchback opening, and letting the right side of the panel catch the right shoulder of the interior:

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Then, the panel is straightened out so that the left edge rests on the other shoulder. To prevent the panel from sagging, especially with the presence of the longitudinal fold line, 2 lateral fold lines are added, and when they curl back, it prevents the panel from folding along the longitudinal fold line:

Here's how the 2 lateral folds help keep the panel not sag

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
The center portion of the fore side of the panel folds down like so:

The reason for that is in case someone looks into the vehicle from the window, using a flashlight for example, it is harder to see if there's anything in the cargo area when that fold is made:

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Transfer the shape onto a faux leather sheet, and keeping the cardboard prototype as the rigid material.

I pre-punched stitching holes on the cardboard where needed to make stitching easier and more consistent.

Clamp the sheet onto the panel to keep them in place while stitching them together.

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
It took about 3 days of manual stitching...

The panel covers the cargo area when the 3rd row is in use like so:

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Nice! Great design. You should sell these covers. However, if making one involves three days of manual stitching it would mean they would be very expensive. You should connect with a local upholstery shop to outsource production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
Wow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satrya

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Nice! Great design. You should sell these covers. However, if making one involves three days of manual stitching it would mean they would be very expensive. You should connect with a local upholstery shop to outsource production.

Thank you. Well, yes, the manual stitching bit took longer and was not as easy as I had thought. I've done manual stitching for much smaller pieces before, but not through cardstock + that leather-like material.

I've decided long ago that I don't have the right infrastructure and resource to commercialize any of my DIY projects. All the more reason I post my DIYs.