Volvo's new XC90 SUV plug-in hybrid gets 112 mpge

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States

Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine in a class of its own at 49 g/km CO2

XC90 T8 Twin Engine is the world's most powerful and cleanest SUV

Delivers 49 g/km CO2, combined 407 hp*, 640 Nm, just 2.1 l/100 km and 43 km pure electric range

The XC90 T8 Twin Engine has exceeded all expectations when it comes to the no compromise equation of power and low fuel consumption, coupled with world class low emissions ? and all in a 7-seat luxury SUV.

The improvement over the earlier announced figures were achieved thanks to the continuous innovation cycle at the Swedish company. The result of further tuning is a drop of 10 g/km from the initial prognosis, bringing fuel consumption down to 2.1 l/100 km while also adding horsepower. This makes the XC90 T8 Twin Engine the clear leader in its segment, with an exceptional combination of low fuel consumption, emissions and pure power.

"We have been working hard to earn our competitive edge and to give our customers the ultimate combination of performance and low fuel consumption. Our Twin Engine technology has enabled us to build on our heritage of efficient powertrain development in a completely new way. Thanks to our new scalable product architecture, and our world class four-cylinder engines, we have a clear and leading position," said Dr Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President Research & Development at Volvo Car Group.

No other SUV in this class can deliver 43 km of pure electric range, 0-100 km/h in 5.6 seconds and provide combined power of 407 hp ? all in a 7 seat configuration.

The XC90 T8 Twin Engine will be available later this spring in Volvo showrooms.

Note to editors:
All figures are based on the NEDC driving cycle for hybrids.

* 320hp + 87 hp and 400 + 240 Nm combined 407hp and 640 Nm.

A driving mode for every need
The XC90 T8 Twin Engine can go from 0 to 100km/h in 5.6 seconds, delivering all the driving pleasure customers have come to expect from a Volvo SUV. But driving pleasure is only a fraction of what the XC90 T8 offers: the car has five different driving modes that deliver a range of performance and efficiency-enhancing characteristics. Using either a scroll wheel on the centre console or a touchscreen on the dashboard, drivers can choose from:

Hybrid: This is the default mode, suitable for everyday use. Here, the vehicle will automatically alternate between drawing power from the 2-litre, 4-cylinder Drive-E engine and the electric motor to deliver the best overall fuel consumption.

Pure electric: In this mode, when the high-voltage battery is fully charged, it serves as the car's sole energy source, powering the electric motor over the rear axle. The XC90 T8 has a range of more than 40km using just electricity, which covers the total distance many people drive in one day. And thanks to the regenerative braking system, this mode is super-efficient in the stop-and-go traffic of city environments. If more power is needed, the Drive-E combustion engine starts up automatically.

Power mode: Here, drivers get the combined performance of the combustion engine and the electric motor. On start-up, the SUV takes advantage of the electric motor's superior response and instant torque curve, while the combustion engine gets up to speed. This combination offers better torque at lower revs, equivalent to that of a large displacement engine like the V8.

AWD: This mode offers constant all-wheel drive on demand. The advantage of being able to select AWD manually is that the driver can use it when needed, or choose to save energy for later.

Save: If the battery is charged, this mode allows the driver to "freeze" the battery level and save it for later use with Pure Electric drive. On the other hand, if the battery is low, the driver can use the combustion engine to charge the battery to a certain level for later use with Pure Electric drive.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T8
So i've been driving the new T8 for 2 weeks now. I find that Hybrid depletes the battery quickly and then sucks too much gas. I'm getting 20mpg and having to fill up gas after only one week, and about 200 miles of driving.

What are others experiencing?

What is the best mode to conserve both fuel and battery?

Any advise is appreciated.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
I had my first 600km and my average is 4.3l/100km. I drive between office and home (20km oneway) everyday (charge overnight) plus some weekend shopping activities (use hybrid since I have 110v charger for now and not able to charge in weekends)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T8
Balanced power

I drove on power mode, it seems to be the best way to get the most out of gas and the battery. You get awesome performance and don't have to fill up the battery after just one drive. Hybrid is off-course the best for small one time trips for errands, where you can come back home and recharge. For a weekend out, i recommend Power mode.

So i've been driving the new T8 for 2 weeks now. I find that Hybrid depletes the battery quickly and then sucks too much gas. I'm getting 20mpg and having to fill up gas after only one week, and about 200 miles of driving.

Reactions
City
Litchfield Park
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 XC90 T8

I recently purchased a 2021 T8 with polestar and I agree 100%. I drive on full electric for short trips and use hybrid the rest of the time. The battery is depleted extremely fast in either mode. It almost seems to deplete faster in hybrid mode than pure mode. I’ve only occasionally driven for a short period in polestar. My car says I’m averaging 21.9mpg and with my hand calculations at the pump am seeing nearly 25mpg but that’s still significant less than. The “EPA-rated 53 MPGe”

Zeige

Reactions
City
Ashland
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 xc90 T8 recharge

I have over 4k miles on the 2022 extended range battery. I have a 240v 50A charge point charger. On pure mode the most miles I've been able to get has been 33 miles. Brand new it was 38 miles of range. I've asked dealer why the decrease in range and they said driving conditions, etc. Still doesn't make sense to me, I would think the battery would deplete faster if driving faster with max AC but not topping out at a lower range with a full charge. What's everyone else experiencing with the range on a full charge extended range battery?

jtriebe

Reactions
City
Tucson, AZ
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 XC90 Recharge Extended Range
The mileage estimate on electric is a variable and changes based on recent performance which is based on the driver's "style". I routinely get about 40 miles of range (up from the 36 mile estimate when I first got the car). I drive in Hybrid mode exclusively and use the GPS for trips that exceed the range of pure electric, and the B mode as I would a lower gear in a manual transmission to slow the car and to maximize regeneration. I have almost 7900 miles on the car and my overall average fuel economy is 37 mpg. Of those 7900 miles, 4600 were done on long trips where I was unable to recharge overnight.