ShawnC

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
Anyone able to locate a copy for the factory service Manuel for 2016 - 2018 XC90??

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
No worries, if you lost your hardcopy, you can still read it on the car's infotainment screen, or read it on your smartphone or tablet after you download Volvo Manual app.

ShawnC

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
Not the owners manual... the factory service manual contains instructions on how to diagnose and work on the vehicle. It contains information on how to diagnose issues and in some cases get to secret diagnostic menus.

I?m also planning on sniffing the CANBUS to decode some of the modules.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I have lots of respect for owners like you, but I am sure you know that first 4 years the maintenance is included and free (except tire rotation which is ridiculous - all free but you have to pay to rotate tires), so you will actually be paying more by doing it yourself and skipping on other maintenance / software upgrades that can't be done by owner.

Yes, let us know if you find a source. There is not much discussion on do it yourself in the manual. I like changing the oil, changing the plugs, etcetera. It would be nice to have access to the service manual. There must be a way to access. I found instructions for accessories https://accessories.volvocars.com/InstallationInstruction/Search/en-us/XC90(16-)/2017?query=

Manny

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
I have lots of respect for owners like you, but I am sure you know that first 4 years the maintenance is included and free (except tire rotation which is ridiculous - all free but you have to pay to rotate tires), so you will actually be paying more by doing it yourself and skipping on other maintenance / software upgrades that can't be done by owner.
I hear you and agree. I plan on taking it in for sure, to take advantage of the free service and software updates, etcetera. I just like to know more about the vehicles I have. I have owned more than 75 cars over the years. I have rebuilt a number of engines and have lots of tools. Now that I am older, it is less inviting to get under the car and do things. However I like to see the technology behind the vehicle. How did they design the parts? Is the solution complex or simple. And yes I have learned that doing something for the first time takes probably 3 times what it takes for an experienced tech. That is still part of the alure.

Manny

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Wow, what else can I say, if you owned 75 cars and bought XC90 - I feel a lot better owning it...

I wish I had more time to get to know the "insides", my point of view is these days cars like XC90 are computers on wheels, I spent time to get to know the UI/features so I am comfortable using it and actually use most of the features, but when I open the hood and see how everything is covered, I get the feeling that Volvo does not even want me to do more than just to put a windshield fluid :)

I hear you and agree. I plan on taking it in for sure, to take advantage of the free service and software updates, etcetera. I just like to know more about the vehicles I have. I have owned more than 75 cars over the years. I have rebuilt a number of engines and have lots of tools. Now that I am older, it is less inviting to get under the car and do things. However I like to see the technology behind the vehicle. How did they design the parts? Is the solution complex or simple. And yes I have learned that doing something for the first time takes probably 3 times what it takes for an experienced tech. That is still part of the alure.

Manny