One Coolant Hose completely rotted

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Hi folks,

I've had my XC90 for a year and its been mostly smooth sailing. Its a 2005 2.5T AWD.

This morning I notice a giant pool of coolant under the car, none in the reservoir. My mind immediately goes to a possibly bad water pump or cracked reservoir tank.

I take a quick look at all the hoses. The lower intercooler hose is very rotted on the bottom half and soaking wet.

Is it reasonable that this part is the only thing that needs replacing?
The car showed no symptoms of trouble. I've had blackstone tests performed 3 times on the oil with no signs of contamination.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Just replace the hose and top of the coolant. Everything else she be fine.

Hi folks,

I've had my XC90 for a year and its been mostly smooth sailing. Its a 2005 2.5T AWD.

This morning I notice a giant pool of coolant under the car, none in the reservoir. My mind immediately goes to a possibly bad water pump or cracked reservoir tank.

I take a quick look at all the hoses. The lower intercooler hose is very rotted on the bottom half and soaking wet.

Is it reasonable that this part is the only thing that needs replacing?
The car showed no symptoms of trouble. I've had blackstone tests performed 3 times on the oil with no signs of contamination.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Just replace the hose and top of the coolant. Everything else she be fine.
Thanks for the reply. From further research it appears this hose does not carry coolant at all, its just an air intake for the turbo...I still dont know where the leak is coming from sadly.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
If its the lower intercooler hose then it might be oil and not coolant. How big was the puddle?