vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Has anyone replaced their breaks yet?? Within 12,000 miles I noticed vibration when I hit the breaks, my dealership replaced the front rotors for free. Now, 26,000 miles in, my rear breaks are gone. 893$ to change rear pads and rotors. Plus the vibration is back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
9000 miles for me and no problems so far

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Just an update, my front rotors were replaced again and got warranty to cover it.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi all,

The dealer replaced my front rotors when I took it in for the first 10k service. I had taken a trip to Colorado and returning from there I noticed an ever so slight vibration. No wonder, I had a fully loaded car with luggage (7 people) for a trip up and down I70 from Vail. I'm sure I warped them bringing the car down from 80mph to a stop due to traffic.

By the way, it was amazing to see the XC90 accelerate with a full load while going up the mountains. I never once had to push it to the floor. I did however have to put the car in dynamic mode to control the body a bit better. 7 adults and extras made the suspension wallow but dynamic firmed things up. By the way, I have the air suspension.

Rob

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Has anyone used aftermarket break pads and/or rotors? I ordered EBC break pads but found out that EBC hasn't even made one for the 2nd gen. Any suggestions?

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Not that this will be entirely helpful, but I recently watched a Volvo promotional video where they claim the OEM pads have an extra 3mm of material vs aftermarket. I would like to know how they claim that considering I have not found a source for aftermarket pads yet. I suspect it will take another year before we see aftermarket catch up to the 2nd gen XC90.

Rob

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Just had my rear brake pads and rotors replaced at 40k miles, and the pads were at 1mm[unbelieveable]

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Having ALL of my rotors and pads replaced UNDER WARRANTY at 36k miles (40k mile service) today.
Rear pads and rotors replaced at 28k miles and 6 months ago and we paid for them ($800+).

Now Dealership states TSB from Volvo states front rotors and pads are prone to defects and to be replaced under warranty with customer complaints of vibration at braking (we have this).

All take notice and keep a watch on your brakes.

It is only two adults and 5 dogs travelling in the back for us so no weight issue here.
Dealerships states Volvo brake pads and rotors wear out FASTER for improved braking performance; ALWAYS been this way. Hmmm. Interesting.

At least Volvo is covering this time for all replaced and said they will again if in the next 12 months (1 year) or still under warranty.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
At 46k miles, on my 4th front rotors, 3rd on the rear. Paid once for the rear. Because of this idiotic breaks, it’s painful for me to say...I’m considering to trade it in for a German.. :(

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
4 sets of rotors under 50k and I'd be furious too! I wonder if some trims have more brake dialed in to their program, as I'm noticing the brakes on my loaner XC60 RType are very noisy and grippy, like pulsating grippy, compared to the smoothness of my Inscription, although different models. My XC90 fronts are still good with 56k miles.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
4 sets of rotors under 50k and I'd be furious too! I wonder if some trims have more brake dialed in to their program, as I'm noticing the brakes on my loaner XC60 RType are very noisy and grippy, like pulsating grippy, compared to the smoothness of my Inscription, although different models. My XC90 fronts are still good with 56k miles.
I don’t think there’s any difference, the loaner they gave me was an inscription xc60 with just about 3k miles on it and it too had some vibration already when breaking.

santirx

Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Volvo XC90 2016
I have the 2016 R-Design model, and this is my complaint. We've had to replace brake pads about 4 times already (about every 15 to 20K miles), which is a bit much in my opinion. The car has about 72K miles.