Loss of power on start, uphill and top end?

hiutsuri

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
The wife complained the XC90 was slow pulling out of drive and had no power. Also Engine System Service Required message up.
Checked and very slow pulling off with max speed achievable around 75 (Although at one point on the motorway something appeared to happen and allowed full acceleration past 100) although after I slowed down it wouldn't pull again!
Also going uphill is a nightmare as no power and car struggles to keep up speed.
Did some internet fault searching and found swirl arm off, refitted but kept coming off so ordered new and fitted but no improvement.
Did some more internet searching, disconnected MAF with engine running / engine never stopped so replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor with one from ebay but no improvement (and engine still doesn't stop when unplugged).
Did some more internet searching and put two cans of EGR cleaner through intake but no improvement.
Took it on motorway for 20 mins but no improvement.
I have ordered an ODB2 Bluetooth reader but anyone got any ideas please?

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
What year is your car made? What motorisation?

hiutsuri

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
2010 2.4 D5 Auto
Also got code 042

hiutsuri

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
ODB2 Useless as not for Diesels!!! Teach me not to read the full spec.
Got friend to read and reset codes
Found outstanding code related to throttle so removed hosing felt inside throttle body and very dirty, also expecting 90 degree movement but felt limited.
So removed and cleaned, removed back of throttle body and found plastic gear on motor damaged which meant the motor had no control of the valve.
Have ordered second hand from ebay although wish i'd waited as received some good quotes with 3 month warrantys from www.1stchoice.co.uk
Will let you know how I get on

hiutsuri

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Ebay Second Hand Part arrived today - coked up, so cleaned with carburettor cleaner.
Opened rear by removing 6 clips using small flat bladed screw drive (2 minutes) and checked gears all good.
Fitted and car running correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are pictures of my removed unit you can see how the gears are damaged on the left hand wheel.

Volvo XC90 Throttle Body Gears 2.jpg Volvo XC90 Throttle Body Gears 1.jpg

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
I'm happy for you! Wish you many more miles [wrenchin]