3k Mile, 3 Day, Inscription Trip Across America.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Hi, my name is Shawn and bought a 2017 XC90 May 18th. I drove gently, breaking the vehicle in properly for the first 500 miles, which took only 5 days. On May 25th I departed Charlotte NC at 5am and arrived in Sumas Washington / Canada on May 28th around 5pm.

First day, first 1k miles on the trip (1500 total miles total), my vehicle performed flawlessly. I really enjoyed the different drive mode selections, adjusting as the road conditions changed. Overall, impressed with the vehicle and satisfied with my purchase.

Second day, things got a little weird. I found that a few hours of sunlight in direct contact with the center computer system caused it to overheat and go into a continuous re-booting loop. When this happens, you loose navigation, stereo, ac, and pretty much everything else controled by this unit. This all happened at 1700 total miles, 11am in the morning, with my AC set to 68 degrees. Placing a sun shade on the dash, blocking direct sunlight, solved this issue, but folks in southern states need to be aware of this problem. I'm having a light shade of ceramic tint installed when I get home to solve this issue on my vehicle...but I am slightly concerned about my systems dependability now that it has over heated and rebooted for a good half hour or more.

Third day, over 2500 miles, sunshade on dash, it was smooth sailing into Sumas.

Overall, I'm very happy with my XC90. Black with Amber, and all the right factory options.

I currently have over 4k miles and will begin my trip home in a few days hitting several landmarks, and taking several pictures along the way.

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to my XC90.

I do know of a way to disable the Pilot Assists top speed of 87mph, but it only will stay disabled during that one trip, or key cycle...but Ive been asked to not share how I did it.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hi, my name is Shawn and bought a 2017 XC90 May 18th. I drove gently, breaking the vehicle in properly for the first 500 miles, which took only 5 days. On May 25th I departed Charlotte NC at 5am and arrived in Sumas Washington / Canada on May 28th around 5pm.

First day, first 1k miles on the trip (1500 total miles total), my vehicle performed flawlessly. I really enjoyed the different drive mode selections, adjusting as the road conditions changed. Overall, impressed with the vehicle and satisfied with my purchase.

Second day, things got a little weird. I found that a few hours of sunlight in direct contact with the center computer system caused it to overheat and go into a continuous re-booting loop. When this happens, you loose navigation, stereo, ac, and pretty much everything else controled by this unit. This all happened at 1700 total miles, 11am in the morning, with my AC set to 68 degrees. Placing a sun shade on the dash, blocking direct sunlight, solved this issue, but folks in southern states need to be aware of this problem. I'm having a light shade of ceramic tint installed when I get home to solve this issue on my vehicle...but I am slightly concerned about my systems dependability now that it has over heated and rebooted for a good half hour or more.

Third day, over 2500 miles, sunshade on dash, it was smooth sailing into Sumas.

Overall, I'm very happy with my XC90. Black with Amber, and all the right factory options.

I currently have over 4k miles and will begin my trip home in a few days hitting several landmarks, and taking several pictures along the way.

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to my XC90.

I do know of a way to disable the Pilot Assists top speed of 87mph, but it only will stay disabled during that one trip, or key cycle...but Ive been asked to not share how I did it.
Nice road trip! I noticed the same thing on a hot day in Southern California when I left the car parked under the sun, just like when you leave your phone exposed to the sun for a long time; the center console was useless. Shade was the remedy. 2017 Xc90 inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Nice trip.
Interested about what drivetrain you have.

and about the Pilot Assist thing: How about a nice PM

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
T6 SC and turbo engine with the 8 speed.

I've got the air suspension, and I've noticed that the vehicle will only lower itself at the destination if I leave it in the mode it started in (comfort). If I change to eco, or others, it remains at that ride height when stopped. After everyone has exited the vehicle, it then drops down for easy entry. Wished it acted the same at stop in all modes, but I can live with it.

Last edited:

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
FYI, there is a setting that you can turn on that panoramic roof sun shade automatically closes when hot temperature is detected in the PARKED car. I use this and never had a problem.

Nice road trip! I noticed the same thing on a hot day in Southern California when I left the car parked under the sun, just like when you leave your phone exposed to the sun for a long time; the center console was useless. Shade was the remedy. 2017 Xc90 inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Unfortunately, the sunlight reaching the unit through the windshield while in motion was/is the problem.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Bad news, I've not been able to duplicate the over 87mph limit functionally, guess it was a one time fluke.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Finished this trip taking shorter trips to include site seeing. Got home Thursday afternoon, and back on the road today to visit my favorite buffet at Deer Park. Got some pics in front of the Biltmore Estate. I love driving this thing! 7500+ miles currently.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Already over 21k...can't stop driving it!

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I'm trying really hard to keep mine under 20k for the first year. Bought mine Jan 21st, right now I am at just under 18k. its going to be close...

Glad you are still enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Rob

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Inscription T6
T6 SC and turbo engine with the 8 speed.

I've got the air suspension, and I've noticed that the vehicle will only lower itself at the destination if I leave it in the mode it started in (comfort). If I change to eco, or others, it remains at that ride height when stopped. After everyone has exited the vehicle, it then drops down for easy entry. Wished it acted the same at stop in all modes, but I can live with it.
You may realize this, but car won?t lower if you open a door or rear hatch. It may take a second or two. Perhaps this is your issue.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Yes, I am aware :) Thank you.

I believe it won't lower down in off-road mode, immediately that is. It will lower back down with the press of a button on the fob, or door open and close.