Welcome to Volvo XC90 Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

1 Likes

3k Mile, 3 Day, Inscription Trip Across America.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi, my name is Shawn and bought a 2017 XC90 May 18th. I drove gently, breaking the vehicle in properly for the first 500 miles, which took only 5 days. On May 25th I departed Charlotte NC at 5am and arrived in Sumas Washington / Canada on May 28th around 5pm.

First day, first 1k miles on the trip (1500 total miles total), my vehicle performed flawlessly. I really enjoyed the different drive mode selections, adjusting as the road conditions changed. Overall, impressed with the vehicle and satisfied with my purchase.

Second day, things got a little weird. I found that a few hours of sunlight in direct contact with the center computer system caused it to overheat and go into a continuous re-booting loop. When this happens, you loose navigation, stereo, ac, and pretty much everything else controled by this unit. This all happened at 1700 total miles, 11am in the morning, with my AC set to 68 degrees. Placing a sun shade on the dash, blocking direct sunlight, solved this issue, but folks in southern states need to be aware of this problem. I'm having a light shade of ceramic tint installed when I get home to solve this issue on my vehicle...but I am slightly concerned about my systems dependability now that it has over heated and rebooted for a good half hour or more.

Third day, over 2500 miles, sunshade on dash, it was smooth sailing into Sumas.

Overall, I'm very happy with my XC90. Black with Amber, and all the right factory options.

I currently have over 4k miles and will begin my trip home in a few days hitting several landmarks, and taking several pictures along the way.

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to my XC90.

I do know of a way to disable the Pilot Assists top speed of 87mph, but it only will stay disabled during that one trip, or key cycle...but Ive been asked to not share how I did it.

Last edited by SRG963; 06-03-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    Hi, my name is Shawn and bought a 2017 XC90 May 18th. I drove gently, breaking the vehicle in properly for the first 500 miles, which took only 5 days. On May 25th I departed Charlotte NC at 5am and arrived in Sumas Washington / Canada on May 28th around 5pm.

First day, first 1k miles on the trip (1500 total miles total), my vehicle performed flawlessly. I really enjoyed the different drive mode selections, adjusting as the road conditions changed. Overall, impressed with the vehicle and satisfied with my purchase.

Second day, things got a little weird. I found that a few hours of sunlight in direct contact with the center computer system caused it to overheat and go into a continuous re-booting loop. When this happens, you loose navigation, stereo, ac, and pretty much everything else controled by this unit. This all happened at 1700 total miles, 11am in the morning, with my AC set to 68 degrees. Placing a sun shade on the dash, blocking direct sunlight, solved this issue, but folks in southern states need to be aware of this problem. I'm having a light shade of ceramic tint installed when I get home to solve this issue on my vehicle...but I am slightly concerned about my systems dependability now that it has over heated and rebooted for a good half hour or more.

Third day, over 2500 miles, sunshade on dash, it was smooth sailing into Sumas.

Overall, I'm very happy with my XC90. Black with Amber, and all the right factory options.

I currently have over 4k miles and will begin my trip home in a few days hitting several landmarks, and taking several pictures along the way.

Feel free to ask any questions pertaining to my XC90.

I do know of a way to disable the Pilot Assists top speed of 87mph, but it only will stay disabled during that one trip, or key cycle...but Ive been asked to not share how I did it.
    Nice road trip! I noticed the same thing on a hot day in Southern California when I left the car parked under the sun, just like when you leave your phone exposed to the sun for a long time; the center console was useless. Shade was the remedy. 2017 Xc90 inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Nice trip.
    Interested about what drivetrain you have.

and about the Pilot Assist thing: How about a nice PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

T6 SC and turbo engine with the 8 speed.

I've got the air suspension, and I've noticed that the vehicle will only lower itself at the destination if I leave it in the mode it started in (comfort). If I change to eco, or others, it remains at that ride height when stopped. After everyone has exited the vehicle, it then drops down for easy entry. Wished it acted the same at stop in all modes, but I can live with it.
    Last edited by SRG963; 06-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

FYI, there is a setting that you can turn on that panoramic roof sun shade automatically closes when hot temperature is detected in the PARKED car. I use this and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sweedspeed View Post
    Nice road trip! I noticed the same thing on a hot day in Southern California when I left the car parked under the sun, just like when you leave your phone exposed to the sun for a long time; the center console was useless. Shade was the remedy. 2017 Xc90 inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Unfortunately, the sunlight reaching the unit through the windshield while in motion was/is the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Bad news, I've not been able to duplicate the over 87mph limit functionally, guess it was a one time fluke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Finished this trip taking shorter trips to include site seeing. Got home Thursday afternoon, and back on the road today to visit my favorite buffet at Deer Park. Got some pics in front of the Biltmore Estate. I love driving this thing! 7500+ miles currently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Already over 21k...can't stop driving it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

I'm trying really hard to keep mine under 20k for the first year. Bought mine Jan 21st, right now I am at just under 18k. its going to be close...

Glad you are still enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Rob