Volvoneta

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I have a 2016 XC90 and the start/stop feature rarely works. What is strange is that it works for a day or two after I take it to the dealer and then it never works again.

I was told by dealer that this feature will only work under the right conditions whatever that means. I honestly think they were not interested in fixing it.

I would be interested to hear what you all have to say about this. Is this feature working all the time or not?

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Check to see if you Start / Stop is activated.

Here's an easy how to.
[video=youtube;vvtMc4oIf2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtMc4oIf2c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Great question. Mine only works part of the time which I think is Normal. It works in cooler temps (more in Wintertime) when the A/C is not in Full on mode (to keep the car cooler). The dealership is right; it is computer controlled.
I have my settings to "Comfort" vs. "Eco" so that makes a difference too.
I love it but I don't see it making that much of a difference in fuel/ gas mileage savings.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I find the auto start stop feature such a nuisance that its disabled on mine.

dealcatcher

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I have a 2016 XC90 and the start/stop feature rarely works. What is strange is that it works for a day or two after I take it to the dealer and then it never works again.

I was told by dealer that this feature will only work under the right conditions whatever that means. I honestly think they were not interested in fixing it.

I would be interested to hear what you all have to say about this. Is this feature working all the time or not?
I had the same issue. That has to do with the battery getting charged when at the dealer and then slowly falling below the required battery level for the feature to work. Took me at least 3-4 dealer visits to get them to actually resolve the issue, which was to replace the battery. Updating the software was not enough to address the issue. Get your battery replaced.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi all,

I would second that it works only under the right conditions. For the first few weeks of ownership, mine worked well and as it should. After a lot of really short trips, lots of stop/start and some really cold temps, it didn't work at all. I got the low battery voltage light once and I knew that was the culprit.

Then we drove to Colorado and back and it worked again. Funny how 1100 miles will charge a battery.

It stopped working again at one point, then the dealer did the software update and it seems to work again as it should. I really do think it saves some gas, but it does get troublesome in stop and go traffic. I will disable it on my commute home if it looks like I will be bumper to bumper with lots of stops on the express way. The rest of the time, I just leave it on and welcome that it is functioning as it should. But to be honest, I play the game of mileage almost every day. I have not really had any trips less than 20mpg with my XC90. And I can almost always get 25mpg if I think about it. A few trips, even some longer ones, (50-150 miles at a time) have got me over 29mpg. One 15 mile trip home last week got my best mileage ever at just over 33mpg. Like I said, it has become a game to me to see how well I can do.

I set up a custom program based on the Ecco mode. I also run 93 octane almost every fill up. I will run pretty light most of the time, just me in the car and maybe the dog. I also try to anticipate stops, use light acceleration, but I see 75+ speeds every day on my way to work going in and out of traffic. It truly is a great commuter car: soft air suspension, heated/ventilated seats and Bowers and Wilkins cranked with classical music. It sure deadens the outside world.

Rob

Flyalteon

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 Inscription
Absolutely agree....I thought I disabled the functionality through my profile preferences, but it seems to revert back to being turned on next time I go for a drive. Is it possible to turn this off once and for all? Or do I have to toggle it off everytime I start the car? I have a 2018 model. Thanks!

jhigh1215

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
I've never heard of a temperamental auto start/stop feature on the XC90. I know that Dynamic mode automatically disables the feature. I've never had any problems with mine so far. I always deactivate mine as soon as I turn on the car.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
The owners manual states all of the conditions where the start-stop won't be engaged, so check it out.

I thought that I wouldn't like it, but it is incredibly smooth, and actually provides a faster start from a stop light than letting the foot off the brake to the gas.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
I got used to the Auto Start/Stop feature. I convinced myself that I am doing my part to prevent the pollution.
When I had problems with battery due to software issue it did not work at all, but after a software update - almost a year ago - it works as it should.
I turn it off in a stop and go traffic on highways, but in other circumstances I keep it on.
You cannot permanently disable it, when you start the car it will be always on as a default and we can't change that.
It follows the common sense in the Comfort drive mode: in the wintertime when the car is still warming up it will not be active until temp in the car is fine, in the summer when it is very hot it will either be inactive or be active but it will turn on the engine again to keep the AC running. I believe that in Eco mode it is more aggressive in turning off the engine, but I never drive in eco mode so can't tell for sure.
One way to inactivate this is to switch to Dynamic drive mode, which is the mode that I love the most.