Suggestions for travel trailer.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
With my new XC90 out front and summer here I have been thinking about a travel trailer.

I could not find a thread on it but I have three dogs and want something of the appropriate weight and durability.

I love Airstreams but they are pricey even used.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. That is a really nice trailer. I live in Georgetown and there are a few dealers North and South from me . Hopefully a Jayco dealer.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. That is a really nice trailer. I live in Georgetown and there are a few dealers North and South from me . Hopefully a Jayco dealer.
Awesome, glad to see more Texans on the forum. There's a Crestview up by where you live in Georgetown that has a great selection of Travel trailers. They also have another location in Buda.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Actually have a buddy who works there so this is good luck.

sapper

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
XC90 & Airstream... an ideal match.

Bullied,

This is our set-up... 2016 T6 & 1972 29ft Airstream. IMG_7412.jpg IMG_7507.jpg
I installed a draw-tite receiver (from etrailer) with the Volvo towing module and harness. I also had it reinforced (at CAN-AM RV) with a bar running under the muffler back to the frame in order to use a weight-distribution hitch. The hitch itself is rated for 6000lbs (non weight-distribution) and 900lbs tongue weight. I'm not sure of the weight of the trailer, the dry weight in manual states 4900lbs so with our gear and some water etc in the tanks I put it around 5500lbs but I never got the chance to weigh it this summer.
As you may know the XC90 tow rating in Europe is rated at 6000lbs but only 5000lbs in North America so I'm certain that some may blast me here for my set-up and frankly I was a little concerned myself.... but now after pulling the trailer for about 5000kms this summer on its maiden voyage it was nothing but a dream. We traveled all types of roads and weather including twice through the White Mountains without a single problem, in fact there wasn't one time that I felt things got sketchy. I traveled pretty well at 100km/hr and a little slower up the hills, but not because the vehicle couldn't manage but just to save on fuel. The fuel economy decreased from about 10.5l/100km to around 18l/100km, which frankly was still decent in my books considering this is what my X5 V8 used to suck back driving around the city. Overall it was so nice to have the space for my 3 kids (3rd row!!!) and a great vehicle to travel around in once we dropped the trailer.
Some thoughts so far...
- I would like to add an transmission oil cooler but from what I can tell the typical aftermarket set-up won't work as it seems that the coolant travels back to the transmission vice the oil moving forward and passing through the radiator. Perhaps I'll speak with the dealer next time I'm in if they have any ideas on this. Even a temp gauge would be helpful for peace of mind. I did play around with different drive settings and mostly settled on dynamic mode and shifting into manual on hills to keep the revs around 3000.
- I ran the vehicles tires at 47psi for the increase in load, they didn't seem to mind and heat was not abnormal. Trailer tires were at 50psi.
- I'm using a wireless proportional brake controller (Prodigy RF) that worked great and means that you don't need to hardwire anything into the vehicle. The controller just plugs into the 12V outlet, all the brains are attached the trailer.
- I think the trailer (being an Airstream) helps due to the aerodynamic shape for both the head and cross winds. I have 2 sway bars and the Volvo towing software apparently auto-corrects if trailer sway is detected. I have no idea if this feature was activated while we were driving but the set-up felt solid.
- I'd be interested in thoughts about the Polestar software upgrade if this would provide for improved automatic shifting points.

Well I hope you find this inspiring... We bought this trailer just 3 weeks after buying the XC90 and in the dead of winter. When spring finally came around I completed about 400 hours of work restoring the underside, interior, windows and electrical/utilities. It was a big job but the results are great and definitely going to be the base for a lot of family memories.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Bullied,

This is our set-up... 2016 T6 & 1972 29ft Airstream. View attachment 36 View attachment 37
I installed a draw-tite receiver (from etrailer) with the Volvo towing module and harness. I also had it reinforced (at CAN-AM RV) with a bar running under the muffler back to the frame in order to use a weight-distribution hitch. The hitch itself is rated for 6000lbs (non weight-distribution) and 900lbs tongue weight. I'm not sure of the weight of the trailer, the dry weight in manual states 4900lbs so with our gear and some water etc in the tanks I put it around 5500lbs but I never got the chance to weigh it this summer.
As you may know the XC90 tow rating in Europe is rated at 6000lbs but only 5000lbs in North America so I'm certain that some may blast me here for my set-up and frankly I was a little concerned myself.... but now after pulling the trailer for about 5000kms this summer on its maiden voyage it was nothing but a dream. We traveled all types of roads and weather including twice through the White Mountains without a single problem, in fact there wasn't one time that I felt things got sketchy. I traveled pretty well at 100km/hr and a little slower up the hills, but not because the vehicle couldn't manage but just to save on fuel. The fuel economy decreased from about 10.5l/100km to around 18l/100km, which frankly was still decent in my books considering this is what my X5 V8 used to suck back driving around the city. Overall it was so nice to have the space for my 3 kids (3rd row!!!) and a great vehicle to travel around in once we dropped the trailer.
Some thoughts so far...
- I would like to add an transmission oil cooler but from what I can tell the typical aftermarket set-up won't work as it seems that the coolant travels back to the transmission vice the oil moving forward and passing through the radiator. Perhaps I'll speak with the dealer next time I'm in if they have any ideas on this. Even a temp gauge would be helpful for peace of mind. I did play around with different drive settings and mostly settled on dynamic mode and shifting into manual on hills to keep the revs around 3000.
- I ran the vehicles tires at 47psi for the increase in load, they didn't seem to mind and heat was not abnormal. Trailer tires were at 50psi.
- I'm using a wireless proportional brake controller (Prodigy RF) that worked great and means that you don't need to hardwire anything into the vehicle. The controller just plugs into the 12V outlet, all the brains are attached the trailer.
- I think the trailer (being an Airstream) helps due to the aerodynamic shape for both the head and cross winds. I have 2 sway bars and the Volvo towing software apparently auto-corrects if trailer sway is detected. I have no idea if this feature was activated while we were driving but the set-up felt solid.
- I'd be interested in thoughts about the Polestar software upgrade if this would provide for improved automatic shifting points.

Well I hope you find this inspiring... We bought this trailer just 3 weeks after buying the XC90 and in the dead of winter. When spring finally came around I completed about 400 hours of work restoring the underside, interior, windows and electrical/utilities. It was a big job but the results are great and definitely going to be the base for a lot of family memories.
Love the Airstream. I know you are technically over spec on the pull but if it works it is good to know. I figure that all specs are at least 10% conservative if not more. Thanks.

jtrygstad

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design
New owner wanting to pull a travel trailer

I just purchased a 2017 XC90 R-Design with only a T5 engine set-up. I plan to acquire a light weight trailer (17 ft) such as Casita or Escape (Canada) so that I can keep the tow weight down to under 3500 lbs.

Here are some things I have been putting onto my list to be able to pull a trailer.
  • Draw-tite receiver hitch (four points of contact and retains original bumper)
  • OEM Volvo electrics
  • Husky Center Line Weight Distribution w/ Sway Control
  • Polestar engine software upgrade - anybody with an opinion? I am partially looking for better midrange torque improvement.

Any thoughts or comments on my component selections? I am especially interest in what sort of tongue weights owners are experiencing. Any problems with 400 lbs? My suspension is the basic, non-leveling, so I hope a weight distribution system will help.

Also, I too am a bit baffled why we can no longer monitor engine coolant temp - the original 8-inch display showed. You would think that they could have found room in the larger 12-inch display for this useful information.

Cheers,
John

Reactions
City
Sarasota
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Hi John,
I have the 2017 XC90 Inscription. I HIGHLY recommend the STEALTH HITCH, you don't have to cut into your bumper at all - it is COMPLETELY INVISIBLE when you take off the ball. It pops on and off and is lockable. I LOVE IT. I used it to tow my 2019 AIRSTREAM NEST - incredible design. Base weight 3300 lbs, hitch weight where propane and two batteries are 375lbs, 16'-7" L X 7'1" W' , exterior height 9'1", interior height 6'6"net carrying capacity 700lbs, 24 gal fresh, 30 gal grey water tank (2 showers, one interior, 1 exterior), 8 windows/skylights, air con , ducted 16,000 btu furnace, 3.2 cu ft. AC/DC ELECTRIC fridge w/freezer (great because you can load it with food and the car/batteries keep everything COLD while you drive and when off grid it keeps things cold 4 days or so batteries alone) microwave, 58X80" QUEEN bed (I have the U-shaped dinette that converts, bit of a hassle but tI like to seating area a lot. It has a cedar closet, TONS of storage, electric retractable awning, incredible variety of LED lighting options, 8 USB ports! loads of outlets etc. Obviously I can't say enough about it. Single axel, 6" longer than XC90 and a few inches wider - my XC90 tows it like it's not even there - effortless. You should really check out the NEST - I can't go ANYWHERE without people wanting to see it or comment on it - seriously. You can probably get a great deal on 2019's now. They may discontinue them soon and they'll become an Airstream Cult classic. So STEALTH Hitch and the NEST along with my white XC90 is what I have and I LOVE THEM. They look FANTASTIC together.

Reactions
City
Miramar
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90 inscription
I have a suggestion for a trailer that you can tow with a new 90. It’s called Alto and made in Canada.
F2414

2556 lb
4 opt.
Starting from 47 725 $ CAD
  • Two single beds convert into a 76″ X 81″ king-size bed, which can be permanently set up (IR)
  • Two single beds convert into a 76″ × 81″ king-size bed that can be permanently open
  • Front dining area for four can be converted into a 60″ × 81″ queen bed
  • Front dining area available even when the back bed is set up
  • Possibility of two different four-seat dining areas, including one outdoors
  • Kitchen with large counter and generous drawers
  • Enclosed watercloset (WC) with corner washbasin
  • Spacious shower separate from toilet
  • Dual axles offer road stability and increased load capacity
Sold in USA directly from the factory

Reactions
City
Miramar
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90 inscription
I hope this helps? You will have to order it as there is about a 10 to 12 mouth waiting period. But with the good exchange rate I think you will get a hell of a good trailer. I have not found one for sale used yet. So must be good ?