Lou4880

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 T6 inscription
We have been getting a lot of rain as of late in our area. As my wife was driving, she noticed that there's a water leak originating from the area where the rear view mirror is. It was a significant amount that she got nervous and drove to the dealership right away. Took approximately 2 hours to do a full diagnostic and turns out the leak is from the sunroof. The dealership wants to fix the sealant on the sunroof. Question is, has this happen to anyone with a 2016 xc90? If so, are there any other issues it could potentially arise later on? I notice that the sound system hasn't been right. Could it have been affected by the water? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

deasym

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Leak

Yes, we have had the same issue and have had it serviced 3x. Thought it was finally fixed, but this week we've noticed that the little plastic storage bin in the back, near the right rear, has been filled with water after rain. So it's back. This will be the fourth time we've had to deal with leaks. The first time the dealer ripped up all of the carpeting and replaced the wiring harnesses because it was that bad. Then they replaced the entire sun roof. Our vehicle was one of the first 2016 XC90s built and we were told by the dealer this was a problem with some of those early production vehicles. Hope this helps. You're not alone.

Tilli23

Reactions
City
Ålesund
State
Non-US
Country
Norway
What I Drive
Volvo xc90
Hi!
I know this is an old thread- but wondering what happened to your cars? As we are currently having this leakage issue with our xc90 2016 model. It’s was repaired first time with dealer two weeks ago but noticed more water today so will have to go back. If they can’t fix it can we return the car and get our money back by using the warranty?

Reactions
City
Fleming Island
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6 AWD
We have been getting a lot of rain as of late in our area. As my wife was driving, she noticed that there's a water leak originating from the area where the rear view mirror is. It was a significant amount that she got nervous and drove to the dealership right away. Took approximately 2 hours to do a full diagnostic and turns out the leak is from the sunroof. The dealership wants to fix the sealant on the sunroof. Question is, has this happen to anyone with a 2016 xc90? If so, are there any other issues it could potentially arise later on? I notice that the sound system hasn't been right. Could it have been affected by the water? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Reactions
City
Fleming Island
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6 AWD
Howdy Lou4880, We had the same problem, waters dripping from behind the rearview mirror. The dealership examined the issue and replaced the sealant around the windshield. Service manager stated they'd not seen this problem prior to my issue.

NG_XC90

Reactions
City
Boulder
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6
We’ve had this problem with our 2016 XC90 T6. At first the dealer said that it was an issue with our switch that they replaced under CPO warranty. It only happens under heavy rain, and when you slow down at a stop light then the water flows forward and starts leaking out of the rear view mirror/ safety camera assembly vents. Now the dealer is saying this is an issue with the seal on the sunroof and that it is not covered under warranty?!? The car is only 3 yrs old, should we expect to replace this $350 item every 3 yrs?! Anyone else had a similar response from the dealer? It seems like this is a common issue with the early new style 2016 XC90’s.

Don S

Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum T5
Hello. Same issue. Just purchased a used 2016 XC90 and have been fixing little issues one by one.
It poured rain here in Houston yesterday and my wife had the same issue of water leaking through the rearview mirror area. It would build up and then squirt out and land below near the shifter. I also noticed dampness on the driver-side on the carpet near the tailgate.
I thought it was a faulty gasket seal around the windshield above the rearview mirror area, but when I took it to the dealership today they checked it out and said it was the sunroof and perhaps the drain channels were clogged or faulty seals in the whole assembly. Got a quote to check out the whole thing for $1300, and that was just a diagnosis; not including sunroof replacement. I'm glad I opted out seeing that someone else in this forum replaced the sunroof and still has issues involving the same problem. The service manager said I could try cleaning out the drain channels with hot water periodically.
I got a pretty good deal on the car, and my wife was finally pleased; but with all this it's becoming a bit of buyer's remorse.
Does anyone know how to escalate this kind of flaw in manufacturing or shoddy engineering to Volvo headquarters so the problem can be properly fixed? We were planning to keep this car for some time. Now it looks like we have to avoid rainy days.

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
This issue has popped up for us. 2016 XC90, car was parked on a slight incline overnight with rain failing all night. Opened rear hatch and found small amount of water pooled on the all weather mat and in the plastic cubby. Dried it up, drove with passengers in the 3rd row and they were leaked on, we could not see where it was coming from. Long story short, took it to dealer who confirmed the leak and gave an estimate of $1300! to fix it. The fix is installing a new seal, $112 part, 7 hours of labor at $165/hour. If anyone has links or references to this being a known issue in early build '16 90s, please pass them along. I've already asked the dealer to request from Volvo considerations in cutting or eliminating this cost.

bdavis.gis

Reactions
City
Huntsville
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I have a a 2016 Volvo XC90 with water leaking from behind the rear view mirror. I dropped it off today and was told that the cartridge (headliner) needs to be taken down to be able to replace the liner. $1,400 was the quote I was given before tax included. Is there a way to start a complaint with Volvo USA directly? It appears that there a number of us with the same issue. I looked on their website and didn't find a way to do so.

Reactions
City
Frisco
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
2016 XC90 owner here. Same exact issue just as you described. Parked during rain storm on slight incline, then water shoots behind rear view mirror whenever stopping and then when accelerating it leaks back by the third row, right side seatbelt area. Just got off the phone with the dealership who had my vehicle over night and quoted $1300 to fix and was only covered under the original 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty which has recently expired. Couldn’t believe it and told him to not do it right now. Anyone else have any luck reporting this to Volvo?

Attachments

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I had this and a common problem where one or the other of the rear doors will not open. Combined this was $2000+ of repairs. I asked the Volvo dealer to talk to Volvo USA about this. Volvo USA agreed to take care of the door, I still had to pay for the sunroof liner which saved $800 but it still chapped my hide to have to pay. You may want to find a reputable independent dealer, the per hour rate my Volvo dealer charges is $165/hour. Given that the repair is 7 hours of labor that can add up quickly.

grmeyers

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
03 cx90
does anyone have the part number for the seal on the moon roof and the plastic accordion?

Reactions
City
Mill Creek
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
does anyone have the part number for the seal on the moon roof and the plastic accordion?
32216220-7 or TJ 31272 from my bill, hopefully one of those is what you’re asking for.

Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016-XC90
Hello!

So I just got my used, but new to me 2016 XC90. I noticed about a month after getting it that when I drove through heavy rain the inside of my roof would get wet in certain areas (pictures attached). It doesn't leak like most of this forum is familiar with. I read it could possibly mean the draining tubes are clogged? Either way I am having the dealership look at it tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Thanks! CAR1.jpg
CAR2.jpg

WallyD

Reactions
City
Carmichael
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T6
Monday at 7:42 AM

To All - (re: our 2016 Volvo XC90 T6):

We have had a very unpleasant experience with clogged sunroof drains causing in excess of $5,000 in damage and presenting significant driver/passenger safety issues. These issues are presented with photos in our NHTSA complaint #11417805 - here is a link the attachment.....

https://static.nhtsa.gov/complaints/11417805/11417805-0003.pdf

I also would like to note that this forum link to "terms and privacy", failed to function during my registration this morning 6/7/21.

B Mellon

Reactions
City
TAMPA
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2917 Volvo Xc-90 AWD r-design
Took in multiple times because I was getting splashed with water while driving. They finally replaced the sunroof supposedly and it resolved the leak. Now years later my sunroof is glitching and I’m sure it did something to the wiring and created some rust spots on the liner metal that has the screen. This cat has been a disaster since the 1st month of owning. I didn’t complain for some time. But I will be addressing the magnitude of issues in another post within this forum.

Reactions
City
West Hartford
State
CT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC 90 T6
Monday at 7:42 AM

To All - (re: our 2016 Volvo XC90 T6):

We have had a very unpleasant experience with clogged sunroof drains causing in excess of $5,000 in damage and presenting significant driver/passenger safety issues. These issues are presented with photos in our NHTSA complaint #11417805 - here is a link the attachment.....

https://static.nhtsa.gov/complaints/11417805/11417805-0003.pdf

I also would like to note that this forum link to "terms and privacy", failed to function during my registration this morning 6/7/21.

Reactions
City
West Hartford
State
CT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC 90 T6
So…I too have a sunroof? leak when it rains heavily and pours into my rear view mirror area —flows in and spills into center console. The dealership I go to in Ct said this is an ongoing issue and I’m mad that this isn’t a recall! What is going on with Volvo!? I was told that it cools cost me a few thousand to fix. Can we all just figure out a way to make a class action lawsuit? Totally inexcusable that Volvo would know this is an issue yet continue to let their buyers pay out of pocket to fix their design issue. I’m really mad!! 2017XC90 T6 owner

B Mellon

Reactions
City
TAMPA
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2917 Volvo Xc-90 AWD r-design
I believe there was an attorney who was soliciting me in the U.S years back regarding a lawsuit. I had just had a baby and dealing with a divorce so my head wasn’t right at the time and regret not being apart or contacting the attorney. It seems only the early models have had issues. Volvo has been awful to deal with. I took mine in 3 times (they couldn’t duplicate my said issue) before they replaced but now I feel like I have multiple electric issues which they blew off and is only getting worse years later due to the water that was traveling behind panels. I have black interior so not easy to notice the water as on the lighter interior fabric. I paid over 80k for mine new and I lost all faith in Volvo when my XC90 redesign was said to need a new engine and turbo (quoted over 20k repair) with under 80k miles. I’ve had endless issues besides what I’ve mentioned. But I will never own a Volvo again. Trying to sell this one back to them in the next couple months once paid off. I wish another lawsuit would take place to recoop funds and time my vehicle was off road.

Malex

Reactions
City
SLC
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I see these posts are from a while ago so not sure anyone will see it but I’m having the same issue with my 2016 model. I live in Utah so never had an issue before because we barely had precipitation but took a road trip to Seattle in Dec. it rained a lot the entire week and I noticed water dripping from behind the rear view mirror. Shortly after started getting different codes, such as airbag malfunction, city safe driving impaired, as well as others. Heater and seat warmers also stopped working. Upon retuning I took it to my mechanic but after 2 weeks they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I went to pick it up and take it to the dealership repair shop. At that time it was still running. In the middle of the street the parking brake suddenly came on and couldn’t be disengaged, after which the car froze. I had to have it towed in. After a week they finally just told me that it was a sunroof drain problem resulting from a faulty windshield install (I had the windshield replaced a few months ago by Safelite). When I asked them for specifics on how that would happen they were very evasive about it. They even admitted not being glass replacement experts. When contacting Safelite I was told that they do not even touch the drains when replacing the windshield. Safelite went to look at the car, and even did a water test, after which they said the leak seems to be coming from behind the dash console. They denied responsibility. Volvo dealer insists that the problem is the glass install. They say they need to replace the wiring harness to start with, and potentially other parts, as water damage is everywhere. Cost is $12,500 right of the bat. I did not give them the ok because I’m still in shock, and reading these posts that sound so similar I can’t help to think that Volvo is at fault. I was told by the Volvo shop that since it’s out of warranty Volvo will not pay. I am not sure what to do for a next step. Paying that amount or even more is outrageous. At this point if i do fix it I will sell it and never buy a Volvo again. Has anyone had luck with Volvo paying to fix the problem and if so how did you go about it. Any suggestion about how to deal with this is greatly appreciated