Would you purchase a Manufacturer Buyback?

MadDogMike

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
I'm looking to buy a 2016 XC90. Found one that priced a good bit lower than similarly equipped ones, but it has a branded title because it was a manufacturer buyback. The reason given on the CarFax report is "Center information screen is inoperative." (I can see the screen is working now.)

The dealer selling it says, "This vehicle was a manufacturer buyback because of software related problems. The vehicles run off the software and all software has been updated to fix said problems. Volvo has given this vehicle lifetime software updates due to this buyback."

Would you consider buying such a vehicle?

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
If you can save more than $5k or more (cost of repairs), than go ahead.
Try and negotiate a longer warranty (or reduced cost on an extended warranty).
My newly bought 16 XC 90 has had the same issues but I am keeping it because it is an overall great vehicle.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Depends on how much you save and if the savings is worth your peace of mind. Normally I'd say no when it comes to anything software or electrical related. Not to mention right off the bat your resale value to a big hit.

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
In my experience most software related problems are solved with the latest up(grad)(dat)es. So go for it if the price is right and the full waranty is maintained.