Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Hello,
I am looking to decide between buying a new 2016 T8 Momentum or a 2016 T6 Momentum.
With the dealer incentives and federal tax credit, I am looking at the T8 about 3k more than the T6 with extended warranty.
With T8 supposedly giving only about 3 mpg more than T6 and an exponentially complex drive system, is it worth going for the T8?
The T6 I am looking at is a dealer demo with 7 year CPO warranty on it. The T8 is a brand new 2016 with 4 year warranty.

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
If you are choosing between those two I'd say the T8 is a better deal. That said both cars are great, we ended up getting a T6 simply because for us the MPG savings wasn't enough to justify the added cost of the T8.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
No doubt the T8 is a much better deal for you.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
I agree, I would go with T8 considering the minimal price difference, although 7y extra warranty is worth about 3-3.5 k, it depends how long you are planning to keep the car, if more than 4y then many more things can go wrong with the T8 I guess and would be costly to fix.
I have a T6 and I am happy, I don't need more horse power, and I don't care that much about gas savings...

vamsi

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Thank you. I am enticed to select T8 because it is a costlier MSRP vehicle with a huge discount and the idea of a plug-in is interesting but....
Both T8 and T6 have exactly same internal features, give or take.
The overall mileage difference is only about 3 mpg.
Agreed T8 has more horses and torque but we tend to drive mostly in either Hybrid mode on T8 and Comfort mode on T6, i am not seeing significant acceleration/power/drive advantages of T8
T8 has a 4 yr warranty, the T6 I am considering is a CPO with close to 7 yr warranty.
As of now, the used car valuations of PHEVs are dropping at a much much higher rate than traditional cars. (Same is the case with BMW X5 40e, and Cayenne E-Hybrid)
T8 is about 600lbs heavier than T6 which I am assuming will come with it's own set of maintenance issues.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
I vote for the T8!!!! I'm a happy owner of a T6 and if my wife just let me, I would've gotten a T8! The absolute only thing I don't like about it is that you don't get front fog lamps....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamsi

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I vote for the T8!!!! I'm a happy owner of a T6 and if my wife just let me, I would've gotten a T8! The absolute only thing I don't like about it is that you don't get front fog lamps....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks vcRdesign. Just for my education, can you elaborate what features in T8 would drive you towards a T8? Convenience features seem to be the same between both. Mileage seems not much higher. Is performance with the additional motor impressive?

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC 90
We just bought a new 2017 XC90 and have had nothing but trouble with ours. Be very careful with the purchase and make sure EVERYTHING on the car works prior to signing.

vamsi

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Thanks docbones. Can you elaborate what issues you had with your vehicle?

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC 90
Dead battery due to a software malfunction. That is supposed to be resolved now after being in the shop, but it left us stranded after vacation. The profile for a driver does not save. So, manually moving the seats each time you get in the vehicle and syncing your phone is to be expected. The rear lift does not open with he simple kick of a foot, as advertised. You will have to set down the things you are carrying and use the key fob. After getting all of your contacts and favorites into the car, the car will drop them the next day. These are the current issues. Buy another car or wait until all of these things are fixed.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 Inscription
I have some bugs but the kick under the rear bumper works great to open and close the rear tailgate. If you look for a round, about the size of a Quarter, sensor button on the left side of the rear bumper and kick straight in and out just to the left of that sensor, your tailgate should open. Be sure to step back or it might hit you in the face :). This also works to close it. [lockdance]

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC 90
Is it on the actual bumper, but underneath?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 Inscription
There is a round sensor on the back of the bumper about the size of between a quarter and a dime. This sensor is not for the tailgate (belive it is for proximity alerts behind the car) but it gives you a reference for where to kick. Kick just to the left of that sensor but with your foot going straight under the car (no need to wave it around) and the tailgate should go up or down.

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
There is a round sensor on the back of the bumper about the size of between a quarter and a dime. This sensor is not for the tailgate (belive it is for proximity alerts behind the car) but it gives you a reference for where to kick. Kick just to the left of that sensor but with your foot going straight under the car (no need to wave it around) and the tailgate should go up or down.
I would like to add that according to the manual after "kicking" under the car you have to take a small step back (so the door doesn't hit you) and then the tailgate opens. No need to wave your foot under, just kick the way described above and take a small step back, practice 2-3 times and it will open for you every single time after. That's what I did and it always works for me. Hope it helps !

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Thanks vcRdesign. Just for my education, can you elaborate what features in T8 would drive you towards a T8? Convenience features seem to be the same between both. Mileage seems not much higher. Is performance with the additional motor impressive?
if price was not an issue, the extra 80HP would be awesome! plus the coolness factor of the T8, if you think about it, its is the SUV version of the Porsche 918, laferrari, etc. those plug in hybrid supercars. plus getting better parking at malls for being a plug in, im assuming its also exempted in emissions testing. plus my regular work site is about 20 miles roundtrip so its within the electric mode range.

Mavi57

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
2017 XC90
"plus my regular work site is about 20 miles roundtrip so its within the electric mode range."
That would be in optimal conditions. low traffic, no traffic lights, optimal 40 to 50 Mph speed and a temp around 20?C. Otherwise you will be short of a mile or 3.