Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi all,

Below are events and details of my conversation/interaction with my dealer. I have no verification of what recall number this or that there is even a recall. I also do not know any specifics other than what the servicing dealer has told me about the parts or tools needed.

I had an appointment set up for Wednesday 3/15/17 of this week for the software update on my 17 inscription to cure the remote start and battery drain issue. My service advisor let me know there is a new recall on the bolts that hold the roof mounted side airbags. Evidently it is so new it doesn't show up yet on any site.

They have had my car since Wednesday morning. They have to remove all of the covers for the A,B,C pillars and then drop the head liner. My service guy also let me know that there are 22 bolts in all and that they were never really designed to come out. Consequently, 6 bolts broke on my particular car trying to get them to come out.

Evidently, Volvo knows this is an issue and made a special tool to extract them. My dealer had to order the tool to finish up the process. It should arrive tomorrow, 3/17/17 so they can finish.

This is the first car that they have had in for the recall.

I immediately felt a pit in my stomach as soon as the service advisor told me about it. All I could think about is how many squeaks, rattles or damaged parts were going to come out of the process. As I suspected, there is already collateral damage due to the work. I stopped by the dealer to get a few things and found a damaged speaker grill (B&W) door grill and black finger prints all over the headliner. That was all I have seen so far. I have let the dealer know that as long as everything is repaired and clean, everything will be fine. I would rather the safety features work as they should, but also want my vehicle in the same shape. They assured me it would be.

I am just giving you all a heads up. Before you have this particular recall done, I would clean the interior of your car. Know exactly what parts look like. I wish I would have taken pictures of all doors, headliner, plastic parts, leather parts and such. I did an extensive detail on my car before it went to the dealer, and I know what it went in looking like. I just hope it comes back looking right.

Rob

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Recall 17V104000
Inflatable Curtain Air Bags Deploy Improperly In A Crash
Affected Cars:
Volvo
XC90
Body, Interior & Misc., February 16, 2017
RepairPal Expert Overview
Our Quick Take:
The inflatable curtain air bags may not be properly secured, which could cause them to deploy improperly in an accident. This would increase risk of occupant injury.
What Should You Do?
Recall repairs on your Volvo must be performed by a Volvo dealership. Volvo will notify known owners of affected vehicles beginning in April, 2017. If you do not receive a notification, but wish to check to see if your vehicle is included, please contact one of your local Volvo dealerships. They will also check for any other incomplete recalls on your vehicle. For best results, be prepared to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to the service department consultant you speak with. The Volvo recall number is R89714.
Summary:
The bolts that secure the inflatable curtain air bags in the vehicle may fracture, causing the air bags to deploy improperly in an accident. Dealers will inspect and replace the bolts free of charge to resolve the concern.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
Manufacturer's Report Date:
February 16, 2017
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:
17V104000
NHTSA Action Number:
N/A
Component:
AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected:
Summary:
Volvo Car USA LLC (Volvo) is recalling certain 2017 XC90, S90, and V90 Cross Country vehicles. The bolts that secure the Inflatable Curtain (IC) air bags in place may break, possibly resulting in the IC air bag deploying improperly in the event of a crash. As, such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 226, "Ejection Mitigation."
Consequence:
If the IC air bags do not deploy properly in the event of a crash, the vehicle occupants have an increased risk of injury.
Remedy:
Volvo will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the bolts, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 1, 2017. Owners may contact Volvo customer service at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo's number for this recall is R89714.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
I wish I had read Rob's detailed post before I took my 2017 XC 90 purchased February 1st in for the "software update" to correct the battery drain issue! I was told they would keep my car for 4 days because of the airbag recall and was provided a courtesy car.

Can anyone tell me what constitutes a lemon? As in, if my car shakes and rattles after this "fix" what is my recourse?

I am a loyal Volvo owner with this being my 6th Volvo since 1982 and am very distressed over the problems with this XC 90! I owned my previous XC 90 for 9 years and barely had any issues and it had 184k miles!