Pilot Assist 2 - working as designed or faulty?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 T8
Hello All,

I have a 2017 XC90 and we just did a road trip from California to Arizona - the perfect trip to test out the Pilot Assist 2 feature! What i found was that it didn't seem to actually work well at all. While the adaptive cruise control works great - bumping up to Pilot Assist didn't... it often would start to drive out of the lane - even to the point where the wheel was vibrating because it sensed that, but it wouldn't correct. It also has a habit of correcting at the very last minute for a sharp jerk - none of which inspire confidence.

Is something amiss with my vehicle - or is this the way it is working for everyone else? The road from CA to AZ (I-8) is very flat, straight with long easy curves - it really couldn't have been an easier place to test.

Matt

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 XC90
We've found Pilot Assist on our 2017 XC90 to be pretty good on UK freeway/motorway roads. It does occasionally get confused, especially if two lanes merge but all in all I'd say it's OK. I would agree that adaptive cruse control is nearly flawless though.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I would say it isn't working right. I've only had my XC90 6 days, but I have used pilot assist 2 for about 50 of the near 380 miles. it works great unless the speed is to fast for a corner, then it can't keep the car in the lane. Just about every other parameter I have used it, seems to work very well. I am actually looking forward to the next long road trip.

I would have to say yours isn't acting like mine.

Rob

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I would say it isn't working right. I've only had my XC90 6 days, but I have used pilot assist 2 for about 50 of the near 380 miles. it works great unless the speed is to fast for a corner, then it can't keep the car in the lane. Just about every other parameter I have used it, seems to work very well. I am actually looking forward to the next long road trip.

I would have to say yours isn't acting like mine.

Rob

I have the same problem as Matthew and I don't think it's a speed issue. I do tend to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit but I would think there should be enough margin for error that it could handle that.

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Hi guys,

I have about 1000 miles on my XC90. I had the opportunity to use PA2 on a recent 130 mile round trip. It worked flawless with the exception of no line markings on a 1/4 mile stretch of road. Otherwise, it kept in the lane and followed cars without issue. Of course now I can't use it as there is so much salt and snow on the pavement, the lines are not visible.

I wish there was a more audible noise when the system is forced to disengage. One minute it was driving itself and then it was not. I didn't notice an alert either time. I pass the same stretch.

Rob

Jonnyh

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 2016
Following up on this point ... I've driven about 500 mile in my 2017 XC90 using Pilot Assist and agree there should be a warning when the system disengages (for example, when it loses white lines). At the moment the green steering wheel symbol turns to grey but that's all - no beep or vibration. I have faith in Volvo - they're not stupid - so why have they decided not to incorporate a warning? Any ideas? If the green symbol turns grey when I'm watching traffic in front I only realise Pilot Assist has disengaged when the car fails to negotiate a corner!

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I have the same issue. Overall, I'd say the system is very flawed. When it can't sense that your hands are non the wheel (which I assume it does by assessing for resistance to autosteering but does a fairly poor job), it gives a warning, but then if it continues not to sense input it disengages. I cannot figure out how they could have messed up something so important. This is a company that has built its entire reputation on safety and the default is for the car to just drive off the side of the road when it senses that you are not paying attention or when the system fails to detect whatever it needs to keeps steering on it's own?!?!?! Even more alarming is that only the steering disengages, the speed continues. So basically the car is set up to say, "I have no idea where I'm going but I'll keep going straight ahead as fast as I can." At the very least, it should start to slow the vehicle when autosteering is lost until the driver takes over and whenever the system disengages, for any reason, there needs to be a very audible warning.

Jonnyh

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
XC90 2016
Totally agree with skippy1977's point re. reducing speed when Pilot Assist disengages.

The fact that Volvo is so focused on safety and is leading the way with this technology makes me think the lack of alarm is not an oversight. Perhaps
Volvo trialled with an alarm and discovered an issue or issues? If this is the case I wonder what those issues are?

... and if Volvo really did introduce this technology without considering an alarm I'd hope it'll be introduced through an update soon!

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
I have a 2016 Rdesign T6, I had the PA gen1 and upgraded to gen2. comparing the two, the gen1 worked almost flawless, I was very confident using in traffic situation and when it disengages, there is a warning sound(I believe it sounds the same when you unbuckle a seatbelt,same alarm), now with the gen2, I cannot say that im confident using it. someone had mentioned on a different thread, when you turn it on,its like nervously waiting for it to fail. and you know it will once you get to the curves. I actually didn't get the manual that comes with the pilot assist upgrade, dealer will be mailing it to me soon, but I doubt I would learn anything that would make it function better. so as always, keep your eyes on the road!

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Manual? Did not know there was a manual with the upgrade. My dealership did not give us a manual at the upgrade. They only charged us for the software update.
All make good points here about Pilot Assist 2. We like it and use it often on roads with marked sides. It does get annoying when the road is curvy and I just go back to Pilot Assist 1 or Adaptive Cruise. This system is a WHOLE lot better than Subaru's Eyesight. It cuts out in rain since it does not read thru the windshield but the Volvo does not cut out; it continues to work in Pilot Assist 1 or 2; for us anyway.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
Manual? Did not know there was a manual with the upgrade. My dealership did not give us a manual at the upgrade. They only charged us for the software update.
It's a 5$ extra. Didn't know about it either, but my dealer mentioned they would give it to me for free. 2017 owners, do you guys have this "manual"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk