Performance in snow

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Hi All,

I am considering a 2017 XC90 Momentum and wondered how it drives in snow - I noticed on the test drive it doesn't have a "snow" mode feature. The manual says to use Sport mode in snow for "maximum tractive force". Appreciate anyone's experience given the start of the snow season in the North East. Thanks.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I am in Chicago driving a 2017 Momentum Plus. This is the best SUV or car I have ever driven in the snow. Very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
I am also in Chicago suburbs, plenty of snow for last 2 weeks, I use the the default (Comfort) mode or Eco mode.
I would imagine that in extreme snow you could use the Off Road mode, but I can't imagine that they recommend Dynamic mode, as your wheels will probably spin a lot more as the car is very responsive in this mode, I did not try this mode in the now yet.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Thanks guys very helpful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I agree with emoremio. I'm also from Chicago. Seems there are a lot of Chicago peeps here. Are there any Volvo meets in Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nam10

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
No issues in the snow. Safest vehicle you will ever own.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
No problems so far. Northeast PA hasn't had much snow yet this year (3" in a single storm at most) but driving on sloppy sleet/ice/freezing rain that we've had plenty of hasn't been an issue.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
I was very pleased with performance in the snow but having said that, I also use snow tires. I ordered mine with the optional 22" wheels and they come with summer/performance tires.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Just got a CPO 2016 XC90 Momentum the 1st week of Dec. 2017. Pick it up in Long Island, NY in a snow storm. Drove to Syracuse, first 3 hrs heavy snow and handling was excellent for a SUV with all season tires on it. Made a run to the Syracuse airport 2:30 AM last Saturday morning in a lake effect snow storm and it did very well than too. I'm still considering getting 18" wheels and snow tires because of the amount of snow we get in central New York.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I agree ECO or Comfort mode is better. I used Off Road mode it does even better, but your limited to 30 mph then it goes to comfort mode. Dynamic mode would not be safe, maybe fun in a big parking lot for 360's.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 VOLVO XC90
I am also in Chicago area, have not had much snow yet for my 2018 , however I did drive in a ice even with no issues. I have not tired the mode thing yet need to look into that.

Movan

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC 90 Inscription
Also from Chicago with a 2018 Inscription. Works well in snow--all gone now though: 59 degrees out!

csimon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 T8
I bought my XC90 in December and put snow tires(on OEM rims) immediately as we ski a lot and it's awesome in the snow. I use the hybrid mode mostly, unless there is a lot of snow and use the AWD mode and it goes into beast mode.