Volvo XC90 Lemon - Anyone gone through the "Volvo Trade Assist" Program or Buy back?

HLMGolden

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
We purchased our new (8 miles on the odometer) 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum on June 30, 2016 and as of today (1249 on the odometer) the car has been in the shop a combined 34 days and counting for 5 separate repairs. Thankfully, the car is under warranty but the hassle and the lack of confidence that this vehicle will keep our family safe is zero. --We've had starting issues, navigation issues, issues with the transmission slipping and the latest incident where only the drivers door would unlock, meaning no one could get in or out of the vehicle unless we (children 5 & 6 included) crawled through the drivers door. THAT IS NOT SAFE and since the dealership cannot guarantee it won't happen again, we are continuing to drive a loaner. With all the issues, Volvo/Dealership have finally stated that they would do a "Volvo Trade Assist" which apparently put us in another Volvo XC90 but I'm not sure I want another XC90 after all of these issues.

Has anyone gone through this process? The dealership has not explained it except telling us that they would get us another car. Do they do a straight trade? How are the taxes and licensing handled since these were already paid on our original car? Can they switch the original purchase contract to a lease, so I can offload the car in two years? Any advice would be very much appreciated. If you have had issues would you get another XC90 or take the losses?

Last edited:
Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 2016
I tried to write you a PM but not sure if went through. Wondering how this went for you... did you do it.. were their fees? Honestly I'd just love to talk to you about it because I am having so many of the same ridiculous issues and am fed up.

Probs1

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 RDesign
I would also like to hear how this went for you. I am starting lemon law process for my 2016 XC90 R Design

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
Sorry to hear about your issues. I wish I had something meaningful to add other than: it must suck.

I have not had any issues with my 17 Inscription. Pretty much been a flawless ownership experience so far.

Best of luck.

Rob

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Inscription T6
We had software issues with a MY 2016 T6 Inscription. Did not have to go through formal lemon law process. Dealer took the initiative to do. Ordered an identical MY 2017 car and when it came in it was a clean swap. No money, no tax, nada... nothing. We kept driving 2016 until new car arrived. We've had no issues with 2017. Take a look at other XC90 SPA 2016 forum. Lots of examples/accounts of similar experiences. Good luck.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Ford F-150 2.7L ecoboost
We had software issues with a MY 2016 T6 Inscription. Did not have to go through formal lemon law process. Dealer took the initiative to do. Ordered an identical MY 2017 car and when it came in it was a clean swap. No money, no tax, nada... nothing. We kept driving 2016 until new car arrived. We've had no issues with 2017. Take a look at other XC90 SPA 2016 forum. Lots of examples/accounts of similar experiences. Good luck.
Wow my fellow Canuck, sorry you're going through these very disturbing issues, on the plus side you and those that replied with similar issues just helped me make my new suv buying decision.

I will not buy an XC90 think Audi Q7 it is.

Thanks,on unrelated note, how's the Golden Golf & Country Club these days? Played it back in the late 90s loved this Golf Track

Bmoe