navsdsu

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo xc90 Inscription
I have been having issues with the modem being unable to connect to the Volvo server off and on since I had the last software update at the dealer a few months ago. They didn't seem to understand what the issue was when we brought it up and now I've noticed that Volvo support has closed down the forum saying they are investigating the issue. Anyone have the same issue and find a fix? Thanks!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 T8
I can tell you that my modem is seemingly worthless. It rarely connects to the internet - even with full bars. I suspect its faulty. I usually just tether off my smartphone.

Matt

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
I have the same connectivity issues with the modem since day one. It's my understanding from the shop that the modem is only a 3G modem. Even with that I'm not sure that explains the less than satisfactory performance. The combination of the modem connectivity issues coupled with 3G Network speed and the Pandora APP is positively "dial up". I tried the first 6 months on ATT subsequently swapping to T-Mobile and I find no difference in service or reliability. If they are working on the issue I would like to know if anyone has heard of a fix aside from replacing the 3G modem with a 4G modem as I understand they did in the 2017 model.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC 90 T8
I have a 2017 (April 2017 manufacture date) and I have not had a problem with the modem. In fact I have found that the modem connection and subsequent Pandora is better than just using my iPhone 8+ So I use the car for playing music rather than my phone through Bluetooth or direct connect. Interesting that you are saying that perhaps the 2016 had a 3G and that the 2017 has a 4G. I wonder how we can verify?
Manny

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
Software updates has helped

I have a 2017 (April 2017 manufacture date) and I have not had a problem with the modem. In fact I have found that the modem connection and subsequent Pandora is better than just using my iPhone 8+ So I use the car for playing music rather than my phone through Bluetooth or direct connect. Interesting that you are saying that perhaps the 2016 had a 3G and that the 2017 has a 4G. I wonder how we can verify?
Manny
Too be sure, from what the Shop tells me, the 2016 model was equipped with a 3G modem, but upgraded to 4G in the 2017+ line. Go figure that one out in this day and age. My model was ordered in September of 2015 and delivered in December of that year. All in all........worth the wait.

Apparently my issues were somewhat anomalous but have been largely "cured" by a sting of software updates. Credit to the shop in Greensboro for being proactive in having the vehicle in for a look by Volvo's Master Technician. After installing additional software and certificates (beyond the typical updates for Sensus) the problem was arguably resolved and the system is much more reliable.

I doubt seriously that Pandora had anything to do with the connectivity issues rather I think it "suffered" from it and was the problem's most visible indication of a larger issue. The majority of my connectivity issues now are related to simply being "out of my coverage" area. Totally understandable.

I agree wholeheartedly that the feature is better than Bluetooth streaming, if nothing else than being "one less button to push" to enjoy the ride!