rritch01

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 XC90
I noticed condensation on the floor of the garage where my wife parks her XC90. It seemed more than usual, but I didn't think much about it. A week ago, she got a red warning light that the coolant was low. She took the other car and I looked at her car, but couldn't recreate the dripping condensation issue. I was out of town this week and it reappeared. She confirmed that its clear, so its not leaking fluid. I realized I had not run the AC or defroster when I tried to recreate it, so I suspect its related to that. Looking for ideas why I might be creating more condensation on the system and apparently losing coolant. Thanks.

2007 XC0
175k miles

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
You use the word condensation to describe the "fluid" on the floor. Was it raining on the days the "condensate" showed up? Water from on the car could be running off into drains and then falling onto the floor??? Can you relate the location of the condensate to an area of the car e.g. front under engine, under the transmission, under a differential, rear under tailpipe??? Condensation will come from "warmer" water vapor condensing on a "cooler" surface. Water vapor may come from your engine exhaust as the car is cranked in a cool exhaust pipe or cool air environment. If your car has a leak such that a fluid shows up on the garage floor, what could it be??? Engine coolant would be red or greenish, transmission fluid is (usually) red, brake fluid is clear, windshield fluid is colored depending upon brand used. So if your "condensation" is clear it may be from the air conditioner drain which is not really condensation (the water from the air conditioner drain already condensed in the air conditioner "box" and then drains) or some other source of clear water vapor. Is the transmission acting abnormal? If your car has a transmission fluid cooler tied into the engine coolant radiator, the loss of coolant could be going into the transmission fluid which should show up as a rising transmission fluid level on the transmission fluid dip stick. I think your low coolant level warning is coincidental to the condensation on the floor.
Sorry to write so much but good luck. Please let me/us know what you find.

NRGB

Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 XC90 3.2L V6
I get a flood in the passenger side every time we have a downpour. I checked the sunroof drain pipes - everything looks good. The next thing I checked was the ac evaporator drain tube - the part of the hose that attaches to the fire wall is loose. Not sure how that happened but I tried pushing it in, but it wouldn't move. Does anyone know how to reattach the evaporator drain tube to the fire wall? The part that attaches to the evaporator is secure.

Attachments

Last edited: