FYI: No AM radio in new XC90 T8

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
After searching for several days on how to listen to AM radio I found I could not find an AM radio anywhere on my 2016 T8. I went to the dealer and they couldn't find it either. After 2 days and an email from Volvo US to the dealer disclosed that there is NO AM radio on the T8. They claim that the AM radio frequencies somehow interfere with the hybrid battery on the T8. What??? The most technologically advanced car available today does not have an AM radio that has been installed in every car since the 1930's.

The dealer was just as shocked as I was. Their solution is to use the TuneIn app that comes on the car. However, this requires that you maintain, and pay for, internet hotspot service in the future. But the app is also is having significant problems.

Here is the problem I ran into and sent to TuneIn technical support:
"I can listen to several stations on my iOS app and using a desktop computer with a browser just fine. However, when I go to use the auto app that came in my 2016 Volvo xc90, it will only play a few stations. Several of the stations will broadcast a message that says "This station can not be played in the country you are in" (or something to that effect). Yet I am in Southern California trying to listen to local stations that play fine on the other devices. Is there a setting I need to adjust?"​

Here was TuneIn technical support's response:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding this problem. This is a known issue with Volvo that has been passed on to our Development Team and theirs. I strongly advise you contact Volvo and let them know that on TuneIn products (web, iOS and Android apps) TuneIn works fine, while the same stations don't work only on the Volvo headunit. We hope to have this fixed with Volvo's collaboration in a future release. I apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your support of TuneIn!"​

So, no AM for now. I'll update if I can get TuneIn to work. Or, I may just have to use the TuneIn on my phone.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thats really interesting and considering I haven't listened to AM in years I would have never known. Wish Volvo would fix all these weird quirks.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 T8 Inscription
I had the same issue. It is frustrating since I listen to my news radio and sports through AM stations. My salesperson claims it has to do with the T8 being electric. It doesn't make sense since my husband has a Tesla which is all electric and has no issue with AM stations. My old car had a hybrid battery and that also had no issue with AM. My solution to the problem was to install the iHeart app to my iPhone which has AM stations. Then connect the phone to the car through Applecare. Now I can listen to my talk shows. Not perfect but better than nothing.

DBXC90

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 T8 Inscription
. It doesn't make sense since my husband has a Tesla which is all electric and has no issue with AM stations. My old car had a hybrid battery and that also had no issue with AM. My solution to the problem was to install the iHeart app to my iPhone which has AM stations.
This is not the only thread on this subject. I think there is an older one with more info. Regardless, if you google this problem, you will find that the newer Teslas also do not have AM radios, so there must be something to it. I have been meaning to bring an AM radio into the car to hear whether or not it works, but I haven't really found one in the house yet.

It is a real problem because there are certain things like sports that are market restricted, and even if TuneIn works, it won't play without first figuring out how to pay for it. I had that problem trying to listen to the local baseball games. The solution, which may not always be available, is to see if the AM station you are interested in is simulcast on the second HD FM channel of some other station. I wanted WSCR in Chicago, and it is simulcast on FM, so that solved my issue. Other solutions used data on my phone or used satellite radio, but FM is certainly easier (once I figured out that you had to enable the HD radio)

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
I'm not entirely sure of the physics behind it but electric cars (and plug in hybrids) cannot have AM radios. It has something to do with electrical interference from the batteries. This isn't a Volvo problem it is a technology problem.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 T8
I am with you brother

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Excellence
I have only had my XC90 Excellence for about 6 months and I know for a fact I listened to AM radio within that time frame. BUT since possibly first of the year I can't find it anymore. Very Aggravating.

Jimmy

Reactions
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC90 T8
Whew!!! I thought I was going crazy for a while. Spent an hour trying to access AM radio on my 2021 T8. Now a-days there are some very good AM station broadcasting in HD digital, e.g., The Gamut in MD & VA. I have AM on my MB GLS450 and the sound quality of the AM HD broadcasts is tremendous. We already do not have fog lamps on the T8 and NOW I FIND OUT - NO AM RADIO. Just like Moosechief's experience - my Volvo sales folks at the dealership were shocked that there were no fog lamps (it turns out that the room the fog lamps take up was needed for the Hybrid's battery cooling system). Disappointing BUT the vehicle is great in so many other areas!

Reactions
City
Modinagar
State
IL
Country
India
What I Drive
car
It doesn't make sense since my husband has a Tesla which is all electric and has no issue with AM stations. My old car had a hybrid battery and that also had no issue with AM. My solution to the problem was to install the iHeart app to my iPhone which has AM stations. Then connect the phone to the car through Applecare. Now I can listen to my talk shows. Not perfect but better than nothing.
pikashow apk
ppsspp gold apk

Last edited: