How many people warm up their XC90 before driving?

How many people warm up their XC90 before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I always do

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I know this is something not really required with newer cars, but sometimes its a hard habit to break. I always find myself letting the car warm up for about two minutes before driving in the mornings. Curious to see how many people get in their cars and drive right away while others let it sit and warm up a bit before driving.

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
10 seconds. :)

DTvp9

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
06 Tundra, 10 Evo X, 16 XC90
My wife and I do since we have the remote start option in the app. Prob won't warm up for too long after the trial period is over

Jowillie

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
Crank and let run until revs drop to standard idle. (average about :30 secs. Varies according to temp)

emoremio

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 R-Design Polestar
Modern cars do not have to be warmed up. I always start engine and drive off. I never had any kind of engine problem with my cars.
It is one of the myths that are slowly going away, just like the oil change every 3k.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
The only advantage I see in warming up is to get the Sensus stable before taking off. Its very slow to fully boot up.

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I just get in and drive, keep the revs low until the car is warmed.

vcRdesign

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 xc90 bursting blue
not so much but I do let the turbo cool down after a long drive. so before I get home, on these occasions, I would disable the auto off function.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I know this is something not really required with newer cars, but sometimes its a hard habit to break. I always find myself letting the car warm up for about two minutes before driving in the mornings. Curious to see how many people get in their cars and drive right away while others let it sit and warm up a bit before driving.
Just crank and go is fine. If it's cold outside, sure, let the car warm up for passenger comfort.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
XC90 2016
I live in Canada and warm my car from the app when temp is below 32F, it is nice to get into a warm car ;)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I wonder about this.
On the T8 hybrid you can be driving around for quite some time with the engine cold and not running at all, then if you suddenly hit the accelerator (e.g. left hand turn with oncoming car), the crankshaft-integrated starter/generator will suddenly power up the motor and immediately the combustion engine will be running (not just at idling speed) providing power to the front wheels within a split second of first turning on.

I have been worrying about whether this adds wear to the engine in the hybrid but the engineers appeared to design the system such that this is expected behaviour, and the manual says nothing about warming up the ICE in the hybrid before you get going, so hopefully they got everything covered with the oil pumps etc and warmup shouldn't be an issue.

If this behaviour is expected in the hybrid (i.e that the motor when first called into service will be asked to provide power at higher than idling rpms), i would imagine warming up is probably superfluous in the T5/T6 models as well. But would love to have some engineer/mechanic somewhere be able to confirm.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 T6 XC90
i normally let me car warm up. call me old school , but just personal preference even though i know car doesn't need more than 30 seconds.

Reactions
City
Miramar
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90 inscription
I live in South Florida and I do a remote start to cool the car down before I get in it.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Wait till the rpms drop below 1k, and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk