Source of Rattle in Rear

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I believe I have discovered the source of the inside rattle in the rear of my '16 Momentum Plus which was built in early February 16. Under the rear storage area, there is a cover for the spare tire that is made of stiff plastic board covered with fabric. I removed that and there was no rattle when I took the XC90 over bumps. I believe based on its position when it is in place, it can touch just right to create the rattle over uneven pavement. I will report back in a few days to confirm.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I wonder if you can line it with felt along the bottom to keep it from rattling.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Good question. The bottom could be rattling against the top of the spare tire too.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Disregard...rattle is still present. Sorry. Will have to have dealer diagnose. At least we are not alone...sounds like plastic hitting plastic. It's not the seatbelts and does it with 3rd row up or down.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Another source for "rattle" in rear of car.

Disregard...rattle is still present. Sorry. Will have to have dealer diagnose. At least we are not alone...sounds like plastic hitting plastic. It's not the seatbelts and does it with 3rd row up or down.
There is a thin metal heat shield under the rear of the car which covers the muffler. I was under the car yesterday with a tech looking at how a trailer hitch will be installed. The metal is very thin and is not so rigid. Could be a source of the sound you hear as the shield "vibrates".

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I suspect it's the rear hatch. It's a plastic on plastic sound similar to the second row seatbelts contacting the C pillar - which they're are not doing. Also getting noise in the sunroof area above my head. Going to dealer next week.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
The rattle sound has been identified by my dealer as coming from the headliner. They are contacting Volvo to ensure the correct repair. I will update when repaired.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Working with Volvo to ascertain the correct repair, my dealer pulled out the headliner and as I understand it, put double sided felt up there - the rattle went away for a week and now its back. My loaner car of 3 weeks had the same rattle.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thanks for the update [MENTION=298]Paddan[/MENTION]

Horton

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 T8
There is a rattle in a rear seat which is the subject of a recall. My dealer received the parts and is doing the repair tomorrow (involves some felt). Not sure about the headliner? XC90 T8

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T5
There is a rattle in a rear seat which is the subject of a recall. My dealer received the parts and is doing the repair tomorrow (involves some felt). Not sure about the headliner? XC90 T8
Really glad to hear that from someone else. Mine's more of a squeaking sound but I haven't been sure enough it's the car and not something I'm carrying in it to mention it. Maybe I should give them a call while it's in the shop for the other 2 things (eyeroll)

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Turns out our rattle was in the Passenger side running board under the car. Dealership calls it the "Rocker" panel. This is a plastic piece that runs the length of the doors on both sides of the car. We had run over something and broke a "clip" which allowed the plastic rocker panel piece under the car to rattle at speed. The service tech said he has seen this before with the optional running boards installed XC90 and cross winds making it rattle. Ours does NOT have the optional running boards. Once the clip was replaced, our rattle was /is gone. On a previous visit, the dealership removed the rear pass. door panel and added some tape to the "components" inside the door. They thought this was the issue but turns out mine was the running board under the car.
Yeah, a real torture of a nuisance noise at highway speeds but now resolved and gone. Go Volvo!

Last edited: