US Tow Hitch Options

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
It appears as though the XC90 was built with EU towing regulations in mind. The tow implementation is slick for the EU. But for the US where the requirements are for trailers to be chained as well as hitched, the solution is ungodly awful. We have the urban styling package and the idea of cutting through the bumper to put a wall-wart looking cover over the gap when not in use is terrible. To date I've only found one after-market solution which is from Curt and isn't very "hidden". I've emailed the good folks at HiddenHitch/ExecuHitch to see iff they would take on Volvo application, but no response. They seem content to focus on German and Japanese SUVs.

Does anyone know of a better after-market solution? We're just trying to use the hitch for bike carrier duty so Class 3 is fine.

Link from etrailer for Curt hitch

RonXC

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Volvo did a terrible job with the factory hitch cover. I've been researching on hitches for my bikes as well, seems like Curt hitch is the only good product at the moment but still quite ugly.

Factory hitch.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 VolvoXC
I had the factory toe package added. I actually think the cover is pretty sharp, and have had many compliments on it. There is nothing wrong with the bumper cut out. When it is in view there is an something attached to it anyway. The hitch has to come through the bumper somehow. I am happy with the looks of it.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
I was told this is the "safest hitch on the market" for our cars/ SUV's right now. I had this added at the dealership to my new XC90 as well and agree that I like it even with the cutout. I do not like the Curt hitch being underneath the bumper; you hit things under the bumper more easily with that type of hitch.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 Inscription
I'm looking at installing the Drawtite hitch. I like that it keeps the stock aluminum bumper and that only a slot at the bottom of the bumper cover needs to be cut out. Has anyone looked into this or got it installed? Which wiring harnesses are you using?

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I'm looking at installing the Drawtite hitch. I like that it keeps the stock aluminum bumper and that only a slot at the bottom of the bumper cover needs to be cut out. Has anyone looked into this or got it installed? Which wiring harnesses are you using?
You can go aftermarket, but it would probably be easier to go with an OEM Volvo harness.

Here are some aftermarket ones.
https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2016_Volvo_XC90.htm

Reactions
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 R-Design
Check out the InvisiHitch. Several of us have had it installed and it's brilliant. Email Steve Nance for details: snance@invisihitch.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe_XC90

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I am seriously considering the InvisiHitch as Ukexpat recommended, just wanted to hear experiences from any other owners...I plan to use it for bike rack and possibly a cargo basket. So I don't plan to buy the wiring harness kit. I also looked into the install instructions and I see some cutting is required. It looks like it is the bottom portion of the bumper cover, which I assume is not visible once the bumper cover is put back.

Appreciate any feedback or comments. Thx.

Reactions
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90 R-Design
I am seriously considering the InvisiHitch as Ukexpat recommended, just wanted to hear experiences from any other owners...I plan to use it for bike rack and possibly a cargo basket. So I don't plan to buy the wiring harness kit. I also looked into the install instructions and I see some cutting is required. It looks like it is the bottom portion of the bumper cover, which I assume is not visible once the bumper cover is put back.

Appreciate any feedback or comments. Thx.
Correct, the trimming is minor and invisible except when lying on your back under the vehicle. I'll try and snap a pic or two for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
Does anyone have the Curt hitch? I'd like to see a picture that wasn't taken from the ground. The one from the manufacturer is from a very low angle and really makes it look awful. I'm wondering if it really looks that bad from a normal height (like most people, I don't usually lie on the ground and look at my car so that picture isn't very helpful). Also, Has anyone installed the Curt hitch themselves; I'm curious how difficult it was?

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
I ordered mine with the hitch. I looked at the install instructions and decided that I wanted to have it done right at the factory. I normally add them after market myself, but this time I didn't want to deal with the parking sensors and cutting out the bumper myself.

I have an ice white XC90 and the "wall wart" is very visible on my car. But it still loos well finished.

Rob

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States

The guys at "Eckharts trailer hitch and welding" here in Los Angeles did a great job installing a hidden hitch. About $800 installed with a lifetime warranty in case of an accident. The hitch can be removed when not in use.

XC90 2017 Inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skippy1977

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90
That looks great. Did they custom make the hitch or is it commercially available? I don't live anywhere near Los Angeles so I'm really hoping it is available elsewhere.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
That looks great. Did they custom make the hitch or is it commercially available? I don't live anywhere near Los Angeles so I'm really hoping it is available elsewhere.
Yes skippy1977, this was custom made for my XC90 last Friday. The space is very tight back there, I never imagined that a hitch would be an afterthought for an SUV. You can call and ask for Bryan 818.881.6787, he is the master; they might have shipping options for you. Good luck!

crewcabrob

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
XC90 Inscription
The space is very tight back there, I never imagined that a hitch would be an afterthought for an SUV!
Hi,

I'm not sure it was an after thought. I ordered my XC90 from the factory with the hitch. Having no OEM or aftermarket provision for a hitch would have been an after thought. :)

Rob

Burtman198

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
I went with the Draw-Tite class III Max Frame Receiver Hitch on my 2017 XC90. Only visible part is the 2" receiver. Paid $360.00 which included installation.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I went with the Draw-Tite class III Max Frame Receiver Hitch on my 2017 XC90. Only visible part is the 2" receiver. Paid $360.00 which included installation.
That's a good deal Burtman198!

CBrickner

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
You can find the OEM parts on eBay for about $600 including harness, towbar, module, foam, and cover plate. If you're just doing a bike rack, you can get the tow bar for $335 shipped.

CBrickner

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Yes skippy1977, this was custom made for my XC90 last Friday. The space is very tight back there, I never imagined that a hitch would be an afterthought for an SUV. You can call and ask for Bryan 818.881.6787, he is the master; they might have shipping options for you. Good luck!

Why wouldn't you get the Invisihitch so you could at least tow someday if you want.