Welcome to Volvo XC90 Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Tow Hitch Options
4 Likes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Question US Tow Hitch Options

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It appears as though the XC90 was built with EU towing regulations in mind. The tow implementation is slick for the EU. But for the US where the requirements are for trailers to be chained as well as hitched, the solution is ungodly awful. We have the urban styling package and the idea of cutting through the bumper to put a wall-wart looking cover over the gap when not in use is terrible. To date I've only found one after-market solution which is from Curt and isn't very "hidden". I've emailed the good folks at HiddenHitch/ExecuHitch to see iff they would take on Volvo application, but no response. They seem content to focus on German and Japanese SUVs.

Does anyone know of a better after-market solution? We're just trying to use the hitch for bike carrier duty so Class 3 is fine.

Link from etrailer for Curt hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Volvo did a terrible job with the factory hitch cover. I've been researching on hitches for my bikes as well, seems like Curt hitch is the only good product at the moment but still quite ugly.

Factory hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

I had the factory toe package added. I actually think the cover is pretty sharp, and have had many compliments on it. There is nothing wrong with the bumper cut out. When it is in view there is an something attached to it anyway. The hitch has to come through the bumper somehow. I am happy with the looks of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

I was told this is the "safest hitch on the market" for our cars/ SUV's right now. I had this added at the dealership to my new XC90 as well and agree that I like it even with the cutout. I do not like the Curt hitch being underneath the bumper; you hit things under the bumper more easily with that type of hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

I'm looking at installing the Drawtite hitch. I like that it keeps the stock aluminum bumper and that only a slot at the bottom of the bumper cover needs to be cut out. Has anyone looked into this or got it installed? Which wiring harnesses are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by evilempire View Post
    I'm looking at installing the Drawtite hitch. I like that it keeps the stock aluminum bumper and that only a slot at the bottom of the bumper cover needs to be cut out. Has anyone looked into this or got it installed? Which wiring harnesses are you using?
    You can go aftermarket, but it would probably be easier to go with an OEM Volvo harness.

Here are some aftermarket ones.
    https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2016_Volvo_XC90.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarXC90 View Post
    You can go aftermarket, but it would probably be easier to go with an OEM Volvo harness.

Here are some aftermarket ones.
    https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2016_Volvo_XC90.htm
    Thanks - I'll look into getting the factory harness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Check out the InvisiHitch. Several of us have had it installed and it's brilliant. Email Steve Nance for details: snance@invisihitch.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red, Polestar+. 22" rims, carbon fiber trim, B&W audio + CD, air suspension, convenience, climate + HUD, vision. OSD 4/4/16, picked up from dealer 6/9/16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

I am seriously considering the InvisiHitch as Ukexpat recommended, just wanted to hear experiences from any other owners...I plan to use it for bike rack and possibly a cargo basket. So I don't plan to buy the wiring harness kit. I also looked into the install instructions and I see some cutting is required. It looks like it is the bottom portion of the bumper cover, which I assume is not visible once the bumper cover is put back.

Appreciate any feedback or comments. Thx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_XC90 View Post
    I am seriously considering the InvisiHitch as Ukexpat recommended, just wanted to hear experiences from any other owners...I plan to use it for bike rack and possibly a cargo basket. So I don't plan to buy the wiring harness kit. I also looked into the install instructions and I see some cutting is required. It looks like it is the bottom portion of the bumper cover, which I assume is not visible once the bumper cover is put back.

Appreciate any feedback or comments. Thx.
    Correct, the trimming is minor and invisible except when lying on your back under the vehicle. I'll try and snap a pic or two for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red, Polestar+. 22" rims, carbon fiber trim, B&W audio + CD, air suspension, convenience, climate + HUD, vision. OSD 4/4/16, picked up from dealer 6/9/16.